5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

85 mustang help

Old 05-29-2006, 08:56 PM
Machomancarl

Default 85 mustang help

Hey everybody, I bought an 85 mustang gt about a year ago and finally got around to tinkering with it (project car to help me learn how to work on cars) It has the stock 302 in it but the guy that owned it before me decided to direct wire everything so I have no fuse box

the tubbing to the AC is completely missing

when I turn on the headlights nothing comes on, but both low and hi beams come on when I turn on the brights, and the fog lights do absolutely nothing.

the speedo has a overlay on it that reads up to 170mph but my speed is WAY off, was following a friend going 50 and it said I was doing 110,

i'm having a hard time finding replacement parts for the t-top.

None of the other guages work at all, the only lights that light up are the check engine, e-brake and turn signals,

the AOD transmission slips and doesnt line up, I took it to a shop and he said the headers are too big and they are rubbing against the transmission so the original owner didnt fasten the gear box completely,

and on top of that, I really want to make this car as badass as I can and don't know what is the best to get for it. What i'm mainly looking for is for it to not be a gas hog, but not save a lot either kind of a middle of the road mustang. I figured the best place to look for help would be on a mustang website. Any help would be appreciated! Thanks!
Old 05-29-2006, 09:38 PM
lookinforastang
I ♥ Acer

Default RE: 85 mustang help

sounds like a mess man

how much did u pay for it, how many miles?

not trying to kill ur self esteem but from you describe, the car is a hack job.
Old 05-29-2006, 09:48 PM
Machomancarl

I knew it was gonna be a rough project when I got it lol the body is in awesome shape just minor cosmetic work to the interior and exterior needs a new paint job, but the mess under the hood is the major problem.

I spent 700.00 on it and its at 42,807 miles. It starts right up, runs and has a lot of power, I just don't know where to start.
Old 05-29-2006, 09:52 PM
lookinforastang
I ♥ Acer

prob has 142k

the odometers only has 5 digits and roll over alot

well i'd start off with the wiring.

gas hog? welcome to the world of v8's

if the speedo bounces its the cable, if it reads wrong its the gear. hows the car accelerate out of the hole? might have lower ratio gears in it

tune her up plugs wires cap rotor filters etc..
Old 05-29-2006, 09:53 PM
tinman
5th Gear Member

Get down to auto store and get HAYNES manual. They have wiring diagrams in them.
Get rid of 'overlay' thingy........
Late Model Mustang restoration in Waco, TX ( Ithink) has everything you could need and quite reasonable. They advertise in all the 5.0 type Mustang mags....
Old 05-29-2006, 09:54 PM
tinman
5th Gear Member

Welcome to the group BTW........
I have '84 'Stang racer.........
Old 05-29-2006, 09:55 PM
ho85GT
2nd Gear Member

U said its an AOD, so does it have the throttlebody(CFI) Intake? It does sound like a hack. sry.
If its been converted to a carb, and u have money and time, i would personally strip most of the wiring( being careful what u take out) and then buy a Painless Wiring Fusebox and wiring everything. This obviously isnt the most cost effective route but it would be the less painful solution.
I have an 85w/ an AOD so if u need any help or have a question where somethin goes PM me

For the speedo take a hair dryer and heat up the overlay and pull it off.
Old 05-29-2006, 10:13 PM
Machomancarl

Well I just bought a new guage cluster off the net, I'll look into that mustang restoration, i'm out of college for the summer so I have the whole time off to play around with it so I might just try rewireing everything. The speedo doesnt bounce and it gets right on it, I drove a 4 banger before getting this mustang and constantly found myself peeling out and fishtailing when accelerating. It is Carb, but I dunno what the rest of that means. I can take pictures and upload them if that would make it easier.
Old 05-29-2006, 11:22 PM
ho85GT
2nd Gear Member

The 85 w/ an aod came stock w/ CFI a type of fuel injesction. It kind of looks like a 2 barrel carb but has fuel injectors mounted in each barrel. But u have a carb so dont worry about it.
Old 05-30-2006, 03:37 AM
Machomancarl

It might be CFI I didnt examine it too well, here's a pic of the mess.

[IMG]local://upfiles/37699/A365A62162BA46228803E0407B9C2F42.jpg[/IMG]

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 85 mustang help