MustangForums.com

MustangForums.com (https://mustangforums.com/forum/index.php)
-   5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang (https://mustangforums.com/forum/5-0l-1979-1995-mustang-14/)
-   -   rust repair (https://mustangforums.com/forum/5-0l-1979-1995-mustang/133485-rust-repair.html)

FiveLiterRiceEater 05-29-2006 09:22 PM

rust repair

im getting some rust spots on my rear wheel wells, and around the bass of my spoiler. I'm pretty sure under neath the spoiler is rusted pretty bad so i'll probably buy a fiberglass hatch. but for the rear wheel wells, what would you guys recomend doing? just sanding it down, priming it, and repainting the spots? keep in mind im on a budget of ..10 dollars

5.0 MPG 05-29-2006 09:31 PM

RE: rust repair

[IMG]local://upfiles/26004/0CB5995E79D340EFBE9DA15BB144E765.jpg[/IMG]

lookinforastang 05-29-2006 09:32 PM

if its rotted thru the paint probably needs repair panels welded in

i bubbles on my driver side wheel well lip and surface rust on the other side

its also the original paint tho so

FiveLiterRiceEater 05-29-2006 10:19 PM

thats what i have. and a little bit of surface up on the hatch. nothing major though.

rmodel65 05-29-2006 11:35 PM

por 15 is awesome!

88stangaruu 05-30-2006 01:22 AM

you got some options...most not cheap...for the most part...rust is never cheap when you have to remove it..either in labor or in money your ass is gonna pay. :D But, POR 15 is awesome. Stuff is tough as hell to. Id coat my entire car in it if i was rich as hell....lol. You can go to Eastwood.com or eastwoodcompany or something like that...not sure....but they sell it. Or you can just sand it out, or get a wire wheel for a drill and get it down to the bare metal and make sure its ALL gone, if you leave one speck its going to come back after a while trust me. Then get some rust proof primer or something like that from Advanced auto and seal it with that.

rmodel65 05-30-2006 01:32 AM

ORIGINAL: 88stangaruu

you got some options...most not cheap...for the most part...rust is never cheap when you have to remove it..either in labor or in money your ass is gonna pay. :D But, POR 15 is awesome. Stuff is tough as hell to. Id coat my entire car in it if i was rich as hell....lol. You can go to Eastwood.com or eastwoodcompany or something like that...not sure....but they sell it. Or you can just sand it out, or get a wire wheel for a drill and get it down to the bare metal and make sure its ALL gone, if you leave one speck its going to come back after a while trust me. Then get some rust proof primer or something like that from Advanced auto and seal it with that.

my brother did coated his 69 cougar in por 15 then did there primer it cost about 300bucks but as tough as everyone says it is it will be worth it! we sprayed it out of a paint gun with there specific reducer!

88stangaruu 05-30-2006 01:38 AM

ORIGINAL: rmodel65

ORIGINAL: 88stangaruu

my brother did coated his 69 cougar in por 15 then did there primer it cost about 300bucks but as tough as everyone says it is it will be worth it! we sprayed it out of a paint gun with there specific reducer!

lol....that car will survive nuclear war now.

FiveLiterRiceEater 05-30-2006 01:40 AM

hmm what is por 15

88stangaruu 05-30-2006 01:45 AM

its kinda like that JB weld, thats the closest thing i can think of.......its hard as hell and completely seals rust from furthur oxidation. Its stops it in simple terms...and it does a damn good job to.