5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

More Traction... smoother ride... free!!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 05-30-2006, 05:34 PM
89gtsleeper
2nd Gear Member

Default More Traction... smoother ride... free!!!!!

Ok, so pulled the sway bar and put the battery in the trunk with a 40 dollar kit, and my traction went from non-existent to hooking all through 2nd on street tires... I've never done that before... Also, you know how your stock suspended 5.0 rides so ****ty and bumpy all the time... Pull the sway bar and it will ease alot of the bumpiness in the front. I did some research on this, and the factory front sway bar is overly stiff... I drive this car every day to work, and the track, and anywhere else I feel like going, and can honestly say my car does not feel any less stable or safe without the sway bar. Between that and the battery over the right rear tire, I honestly believe I just picked up 3 tenths on the 1/4.... Never been able to pull a sub 2.1 60 foot time, and was pulling 13.2, so this should get me in the 12 second zone. I'll keep you guys posted after friday night, and we'll see how much difference that, and a UPR boost pipe w/ custom ram air kit will make!!!
Old 05-30-2006, 06:18 PM
settled4automatic
3rd Gear Member

Default RE: More Traction... smoother ride... free!!!!!

i had an 87 with no front sway bar, my 88 has the sway bar --- i noticed a HUGE difference between body roll and cornering. glad it worked out for you though
Old 05-30-2006, 06:39 PM
88BlueGT
6th Gear Member

Glad you like it... I know a few people who run without the front sway bar and most dont have a problem with it.
Old 05-30-2006, 06:57 PM
r.barn
6th Gear Member

you might check out MaximumMotorSports too. they sell a reduced stiffness swaybar.
Old 05-30-2006, 07:05 PM
WizardBlack
1st Gear Member

Drag guys usually don't find much use for the sway in the front. Road race guys are a different story, I'd say.

Mark
Old 05-31-2006, 12:42 AM
tinman
5th Gear Member

Fox body sway bar mount on sub-frame is perfect place for eyebolt for a trailer tie down....
Just use a 1/2" shank forged one with a washer on each side and a locknut. 5000# rating is good. get them at Grainer or maybe Tractor Supply...........
Old 05-31-2006, 12:44 AM
FiveLiterRiceEater
5th Gear Member

^redneck
Old 05-31-2006, 12:49 AM
steele901
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: 89gtsleeper

Ok, so pulled the sway bar and put the battery in the trunk with a 40 dollar kit, and my traction went from non-existent to hooking all through 2nd on street tires... I've never done that before... Also, you know how your stock suspended 5.0 rides so ****ty and bumpy all the time... Pull the sway bar and it will ease alot of the bumpiness in the front. I did some research on this, and the factory front sway bar is overly stiff... I drive this car every day to work, and the track, and anywhere else I feel like going, and can honestly say my car does not feel any less stable or safe without the sway bar. Between that and the battery over the right rear tire, I honestly believe I just picked up 3 tenths on the 1/4.... Never been able to pull a sub 2.1 60 foot time, and was pulling 13.2, so this should get me in the 12 second zone. I'll keep you guys posted after friday night, and we'll see how much difference that, and a UPR boost pipe w/ custom ram air kit will make!!!

are you talking about the strut mount sway bar, the bottom sway bar under the engine, or both??
Old 05-31-2006, 01:24 AM
88BlueGT
6th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: FiveLiterRiceEater

^redneck
HaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHa!!!!!!!
Old 05-31-2006, 01:33 AM
90Mustangfan
I ♥ Acer

I actually about 3 days ago put my front sway bar back on, I drove with it off for about 6 months and the ride felt like the front was floating side to side and up and down, I got tired of the squirley feeling, most people that ride in the car think that were going to crash because the front end floats around and turns like a caddy lol. but my other stang had it off and it was better, every stang is different, plus im selling it and people might be discouraged when the front feels loose and squirley, so f it I put it back on. Turns and rides alot better, traction is still the same infact I still cant hook up till the middle of second, but since i have 3.55's it doesnt pick up like my other stang with 4.10's.

Quick Reply: More Traction... smoother ride... free!!!!!