Notices
5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

Oil drain plug washer?

Old 05-30-2006, 07:04 PM
Twisted
5th Gear Member

Default Oil drain plug washer?

So I went to Ford to get oil drain plug washers for my 88. They told me that the washers were not sold seperately, and that I'd have to buy the whole plugs. So I did. I noticed, however, that the washers are nylon. Since changing the plugs, I haven't been able to get my rear oil drain plug to stop leaking. Are these washers supposed to be nylon?
Old 05-30-2006, 07:42 PM
Twisted
5th Gear Member

Default RE: Oil drain plug washer?

Surely someone's changed their oil before.
Old 05-30-2006, 07:44 PM
1990mustanggt
4th Gear Member

I don't know about nylon, but all the ones I use are plastic
Old 05-30-2006, 07:45 PM
Mustangn
1st Gear Member

The orignal one are metal with ruber on the inside, and I have bought them separately from ford dealer here.
Old 05-30-2006, 07:52 PM
92hatchLX
6th Gear Member

I think that my washers are all metal. Take them back and tell them that they are leaking.
Old 05-30-2006, 08:00 PM
Twisted
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: 1990mustanggt

I don't know about nylon, but all the ones I use are plastic
Thanks for the replies folks. I'm just glad someone has seen plastic ones before. Did your plastic washers come from the dealer? I guess I'll check with another dealer, and see what their washers are made of. It sucks though because I just changed my oil. On another note, it could be leaking because I'm a girl about tightening bolts, after having stripped so many in the past. Thanks again.
Old 05-30-2006, 08:17 PM
Boss_Hotrod
5th Gear Member

I bought a metal one with a rubber insert from advance a couple months ago. Hasnt leaked yet.
Old 05-30-2006, 08:40 PM
FiveLiterRiceEater
5th Gear Member

thats probably why its leaking..man up and tighten the plug like you got a pair *****

just kidding but i've never had a nylon washer leak on me. just try to tighten it up a little more. if it still leaks tell ford they're idiots cause they gave you ****ty washers.
Old 05-30-2006, 08:57 PM
Grimace5.0
I ♥ Acer

AutoZone has a assortment pack. They also have "behind the counter" composite washers. If the nylon is too hard of a material you may want to try one thats made of softer material.
Old 05-30-2006, 09:18 PM
Twisted
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: FiveLiterRiceEater

thats probably why its leaking..man up and tighten the plug like you got a pair *****

just kidding but i've never had a nylon washer leak on me. just try to tighten it up a little more. if it still leaks tell ford they're idiots cause they gave you ****ty washers.
LOL. Duly noted, Fiveliter. I just tightened it today--snugged it up pretty good. I hope it won't leak now. I just thought it was strange that A) The dealership gave me plastic washers, and B) They didn't sell such a flimsy (plastic) washer seperately (without the entire plug), as it seems like you'd have to replace it often. Do these plastic ones last a while?

Thanks for the replies, Grim and Boss. I'll try a different kind if these plastic jobs don't hold up.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Oil drain plug washer?

Advertising
Featured Sponsors
Vendor Directory

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.