5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

LongTube Headers=Impossible

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-2004, 10:46 PM
Obsol3te
6th Gear Member

Default RE: LongTube Headers=Impossible

I got the passanger side in!
Whahoaho!

hehe
jesus that sucked
still not in all the way
one bolt doesnt wanna go in
for some unknown reason

god that was so annoying
was holding the headers with one hand
while like
pinching a bolt trying to get it to turn into the hole
keeping the headers steady for about an hour straight...
legs got all cramped up
carpel tunnel was setting in.
was a bad experiance, not sure if its worth it yet until i start my car when the other side is in and exhaust is on.

i have NOT a single clue how im getting passed the brake thing, steering column and whatever else is down there...
oh yea and the dipstick. prolly going to end up breaking that right off like i did with one of my spark plugs on the passenger side...
snapped it right off

anyhoo that one side does look great though. and i guess that goes to show anyone can do it if some1 who knows next to nothing about cars can handle it.
Old 04-16-2004, 11:06 PM
grabbem88
6th Gear Member

hey take everything off that you think you'll break.trust me i jacked my car too high and toasted my bap sensor.i know what you're going through.can anybody video something to point out things that can help him?
Old 04-16-2004, 11:09 PM
Obsol3te
6th Gear Member

just recently install LT's?
Old 04-16-2004, 11:10 PM
VertStangGT86
4th Gear Member

Well if you need any help next weekend I could probably come help you out on friday. No classes and I like never work either. Let me know if you're still workin on that or if you're gonna get your intake in by then and wanna dive into that. Drags were a good time tonight, too bad you couldn't make it, I didnt' run by silvergt, v8killer, nhdungeonracer, and casper98 were there along with some friends of theirs.
Old 04-16-2004, 11:16 PM
grabbem88
6th Gear Member

yeah i dropped a few lines to ya yesterday,and grab an extra pair of hands,and i don't know what cam you have (B)?you will forget about the hell you went through putting them on when you 1st fire that baby up
Old 04-16-2004, 11:33 PM
acidman2

hey dude, i installed a set of mac longtubes on my 90 lx notch and man it was a bitch.. i had to pull the engine mounts completely off the car and push the engine to one side and drop in the header on the passenger side first. leave it loose ( no bolts in it . just tie it up out of the way ). remove the steering rod from the firewall to the rack and pinnion unit, pull out the spark plugs, remove the dipstick tube, and then push the engine to the pass. side and drop in the drivers side header. then reinstall the engine mounts, dipstick tube, steering rod, etc... it was bad enough that i will not remove them from the car unless the engine comes out too.. anyhow, good luck with the other side..

but like grabbem said,, man they sound sooo much better than shorties..
Old 04-16-2004, 11:39 PM
grabbem88
6th Gear Member

thats what i went through...then it rained on me. now picture david banner from the hulk,and thats what i looked like it's funny now but boy was i pissed
Old 04-17-2004, 12:41 AM
Obsol3te
6th Gear Member

ugh
i was so pissed off for like an hour
couldnt do the simplest of tasks
SCREW IN ONE DAMN SCREW TO KEEP GASKET/HEADER in place...
really dont know how i didnt go ape**** on something
Old 04-17-2004, 01:29 AM
roundman
5th Gear Member

calm down OB, it will still be there waiting for you in the morning when you get up!
glad to hear you persevered and got the easy side on except for the one bolt, or did you finally get that one started too? I told you that you could do it, didn't I?
Now get a good nights sleep and go out and get the other side tomorrow and do like me and the other guy said, drop the steering shaft out of your way and it will be a lot easier to do. there is one bolt at the top of the shaft on the side that holds the top on and one bolt on the bottom like a set screw that holds the bottom on the splines. Pull out both these bolts and then push down on the bottom and the top will slide out, then move it to the side and pull up on the bottom to get it off the splines and you done removing it. still think it might go easier coming up from underneath, especially on the driver's side, but you do it whatever way you can get it to go in. I would tell you to go drink a beer, but you're not legal for that just yet. I bet now you know why guys who work on cars like a good cold beer though! LOL
Old 04-17-2004, 02:01 AM
Obsol3te
6th Gear Member

hehe
its ok i calmed down
that one bolt tho god...
for like an hour straight, would drive any1 madd

anyhoo, i cant get it from underneath the car isnt up high enough. i've tried numerous times

so are those splines fragile?
and is it hard to get back in?
if not im tearin it out first thing tomorrow morning

Quick Reply: LongTube Headers=Impossible