5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

LongTube Headers=Impossible

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-2004, 09:50 PM
Obsol3te
6th Gear Member

Default LongTube Headers=Impossible

Was tryin to squeeze them in thru the engine bay for quite some time today...
It's impossible
keeps getting caught on the stupidest little things that i cant shimmy it around or something
I was sooo close to getting it running too...

I hear i'm going to have to lift my engine out and install em... don't want to do that at all
any suggestions PLEASE?
i got tomorrow off... and if i can finish it before like tomorrow evening i can head on up to the track
Old 04-15-2004, 10:18 PM
nhdungeonracer
3rd Gear Member

Default RE: LongTube Headers=Impossible

Have you tried just undoing a motor mount and lifting the engine up a few inches? Maybe that'll give you enough clearance to get the pipes thru.
You could also call the manufacturer of the headers and see if they have any tips. Can't hurt to ask, can it?
Old 04-15-2004, 10:42 PM
Obsol3te
6th Gear Member

Going to try the jacking up thing tomorrow morning. Gonna be workin on em all day, I know it....
And when the day's done. It's still going to be unfinished

I've got no experiance with anything, but I've changed a distributor,shifter and installed my CAI/MAF!
those are all horridly easy but i Did em!
and like i said no clue what im doin
oh yea, and cant ferget my pullies
Old 04-15-2004, 10:59 PM
Moosetang
3rd Gear Member

I think it is impossible for anyone without lifting the engine up a few inches.
Old 04-16-2004, 02:20 AM
roundman
5th Gear Member

have you tried installing them from the bottom side instead of lowering them in from the top? sometimes this works when nothing else will. you might also want to temporarily disconnect the steering shaft to get more room to work with on that side. if push comes to shove, get a 2x4 or 2x6 piece of wood and place it under the front oil pan and use a jack to lift up the motor after you remove the two nuts holding the mount mounts in place. don't overdo this lifting as there aint that much room to lift it before it hits the firewall anyway. and make sure the car is fully supported on good jackstands when you do this!
Old 04-16-2004, 10:30 AM
mustangdave357
2nd Gear Member

Let me know what works, I am in the process of ordering a set of long tubes for my 95.
Old 04-16-2004, 01:35 PM
Obsol3te
6th Gear Member

going to try lifting right now, its already on jackstands.
u suggest from the FRONT of the oil pan?
that will hold it? and not crush it?
Old 04-16-2004, 02:31 PM
roundman
5th Gear Member

yes, just make sure the load is spread out over a piece of wood like I said earlier so it don't concentrate the load in one place, that's what could dent it. and watch when you lift it that you don't go too far and start lifting the whole car off the jackstands either.
btw, what the hell is this green thing supposed to be? looks like a ***** with a body! LOL
Old 04-16-2004, 04:16 PM
Obsol3te
6th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: roundmanracing

btw, what the hell is this green thing supposed to be? looks like a ***** with a body! LOL
no clue either

and truthfully, I dont know what the motor mounts look like. I thought the motor mounts would look like the same in my stepdads truck, they dont... so im clueless
Old 04-16-2004, 04:35 PM
roundman
5th Gear Member

we know you're clueless, that's why we're trying to help you! LOL
the motor mounts are located about midway in the engine on the bottom side.
they have a single bolt and nut on an angle sticking through a hole in the plate on the K-member that crosses underneath the oil pan and ties the front end together. they also have two vertical bolts that bolt the mount itself onto the engine, but you don't need to mess with these two bolts, just the big one on an angle. using the right size box end wrench, just back off the large nut almost all the way, but not quite all the way off the stud. this will give you plenty of room for the engine to move up when you jack it up and this will give you more room to get the headers on. if push comes to shove, take the nut all the way off on one side at a time only if you need a tad more room, but be careful letting the engine back down so the stud goes back into the slotted hole if it comes out of it when you jack it up. Then put the nut back on it and go to the other side if need be. After you get both sides done, then jack the motor straight up a little bit and let it back down slowly so it centers itself in the motor mounts and tighten the big nuts back up so it stays there.
hang in there, you can do it![sm=smiley20.gif]

Quick Reply: LongTube Headers=Impossible