5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

Cam plug oil leak - EAK!

Search this Thread

Old 05-31-2006, 05:55 PM
xcr5

Default Cam plug oil leak - EAK!

Hey everyone first day on the site and love it! Bought the wife a 95 GT convertible. Car had a fairly new remanufactured engine in it (previous owner bought the short block off the internet). Anyway; very happy with the car except for an oil leak and occsional hick up in idle. The oil leak appeared to be coming from the rear main area. I don't have the facility to work on the car so I took it to the local Ford dealer. They called me and let me know that it looked like the rear main was leaking slightly but that most of the oil appeared to be coming from the cam plug. They replaced the plug and the rear main seal and away I went. Didn't have the car home more then 20min and I could tell it was still leaking. Let the car sit over night and the exact same amount of oil had leaked under the car as before the repair was done - ARRG! Called the dealer and let them know the car was still leaking. They said bring it back in and we'll have a look, but felt the cam plug hole might not be perfectly round and if not didn't know what they would do for a repair as they said they're not supposed to put any sealents in there.

Well if this turns out to be the case an the hole isn't perfectly round - any suggestions on how to stop the oil leak? I'm going to check the PCV to make sure that appears to be working properly and not creating excesive crank case pressure, but beyond that I'm pretty stump on how I would go about fixing the leak.

Suggestions/thoughts???

Thanks,

XCR5
Old 06-01-2006, 12:30 AM
xcr5

Default RE: Cam plug oil leak - EAK!

No one have any ideas??? Must need to be around here awhile to get responses hey???
Old 06-01-2006, 12:34 AM
Grimace5.0
I ♥ Acer

It's not a matter of "needing to be around here for a while" it's a matter of there are about 100 different places for oil to leak from LOL. Typicly rear main seal if it's comming from the back of the engine. I don't know what your refering to as a cam plug.
Old 06-01-2006, 01:38 AM
knucklefux
1st Gear Member

he's talking about the hole where they machined the cam journals at the back of the block. the only thing i can think of that would work is one of those rubber plugs that you can install in the "freeze plug" hole. i'm not sure if the sizes are the same, but there may be one that will fit.

in case you don't know what i'm talking about, the part is kinda like a boat drain plug, but bigger. if you don't know what a boat drain plug is, you haven't lived yet.
Old 06-01-2006, 01:45 AM
mcfomco
3rd Gear Member

I dont think this will work due to the fact that the rubber ones have a bolt that goes through them to make them expand. Thus the end of the cam is behind the plug in this case and wouldnt work to well rubbing the end of the cam. It would make a wonderful noise im sure but sounds like a bad idea.

ORIGINAL: knucklefux

he's talking about the hole where they machined the cam journals at the back of the block. the only thing i can think of that would work is one of those rubber plugs that you can install in the "freeze plug" hole. i'm not sure if the sizes are the same, but there may be one that will fit.

in case you don't know what i'm talking about, the part is kinda like a boat drain plug, but bigger. if you don't know what a boat drain plug is, you haven't lived yet.
Old 06-01-2006, 01:48 AM
myshifter
I ♥ Acer

Sounds like a typical dealer "get that fukin guy outta here exscuse" I worked at a ford dealer as a tech for many years.
Old 06-01-2006, 01:59 AM
mcfomco
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: myshifter

Sounds like a typical dealer "get that fukin guy outta here exscuse" I worked at a ford dealer as a tech for many years.
Thats what i was thinking but wasnt going to say it.
Old 06-01-2006, 01:16 PM
xcr5

You don't even want to start me talking about the dealer! When backing the car off the hoist I heard a crunch - they caught the right side ground effect that runs from below the passenger door and popped it off the body along with scratching the sheet out of it! I was watching them back the car of the hoist and heard a crunch but didn't see anything as it was on the side of the car that was away from me. I paid the bill and went to take the car home as I walked past the passenger side of the car I noticed the damage. Brought the service manager out and showed them the damage and the first words out of his mouth were "We didn't do that" - Arrg! I went on to explain to him how the car is washed twice a week, not driven in rain and how I know every rock chip and flaw in the vehicle and I could guarantee him the panel wasn't damaged when brought the car to them. He just went on how they couldn't have done it, walked me over to the hoist and tried explaining how it was impossible to cause the damage. Well my car is lowered 1.5" and to tell you the truth it looks like it would barely clear the hoist just driving over it. Well I was done with this guy and was on to the owner.

The dealership owner was pretty decent about the whole thing. All this happened at closing time so the mechanic involved went home. The owner looked at the damage and said let me talk to the mechanic and see what he has to say and I'll call you in the morning. Well I got a call first thing in the morning and the owner wasn't sure what he was going to do as the mechanic told him he didn't do anything (go figure)? Anyway I went on to explain how I had just paid $350 to fix a damn oil leak and if I had popped the panel off I would have surely repaired it instead of trying to make up some bogus claim to get the dealership to cover it. Well he was able to see the common sense and agreed to order a new piece and replace it at no charge. Now I just have to get them to fix the oil leak I paid them $350 to repair. I told my buddy this story yesterday and he had me laughing when he said the next time you want to pay someone $350 to wreck your **** give me a call and he would only charge me $100 to wreck something on my car....

Still need a fix for this oil leak (it's definately coming from the cam plug). I check the PCV valve yesterday and that seems to be operating properly so the case seem to be venting properly? Come on guys - need some creative thinking on this one... JB weld???

XCR5
Old 06-02-2006, 01:17 AM
xcr5

Hmm - looks like i'm at the dealers mercy (not much advise on here). Well looks like it's time to grab the ankles - Ouch!
Old 06-02-2006, 01:36 AM
mcfomco
3rd Gear Member

If you paid for the repair and they didnt repair the lek they are obligated to an extent on fixing the leak for free now. I wouldnt recommend to jb weld though maybe some sealer around the plug but no jb weld. really depends on how bad outta round it is.

Quick Reply: Cam plug oil leak - EAK!