5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

High HP Daily Drivers?

Search this Thread

Old 06-03-2006, 12:14 AM
knucklefux
1st Gear Member

Default RE: High HP Daily Drivers?

get one of those gas station credit cards that pays you double when you buy gas on it...it's the only chance you have of getting anything back from "big oil".
Old 06-03-2006, 12:36 AM
Twisted
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: knucklefux

get one of those gas station credit cards that pays you double when you buy gas on it...it's the only chance you have of getting anything back from "big oil".
There is such a thing?
Old 06-03-2006, 01:14 AM
FullAuto
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Stevens91gt

u get around what i get..and i have less than 1/2 the rwhp

LOL, well it is actually better than I expected when I was building the car. I was hoping just to get 10mpg. And this is just with a A9P and high imp. 60lb injectors. I'm about to switch over to a bigger set of low imp. injectors and either a BS3 or FAST XFI and I'm hoping it gains a little more mpg with the better tuning ability.
Old 06-03-2006, 02:02 AM
Ecstasy
5th Gear Member

600+ hp? and 12-14 mpg, no offense thats not possible. unless you own a civic or something. i say the cut off line for a DD if you are smart is about 400-450 hp. anything over 500rwhp is just i dunno what to say.
Old 06-03-2006, 02:25 AM
FullAuto
5th Gear Member

So are you saying I don't make over 600rwhp? ... I don't get 12-14mpg? ... or it's not a daily driver? I actually wish I didn't have to drive it as often as I have been. It's unfortunate that I am having to currently drive it so much. It's not that it can't do it, I just would rather not add all the wear on the drag radials (I drive 26 miles one way to work down the interstate). And my wife runs over everything with my Powerstroke. There's no telling how much she's killing it. Anyway, I have dyno sheets, can provide all kinds of references for it being driven, but there is no way I could prove the mileage it gets. I guess if you don't believe it, it's your loss. But I think you're showing your lack of experience. There are many, many 500+rwhp daily drivers cars around here. All it takes is money. It's actually not even much of a feat anymore with all the 03/04 Cobras. 600-700+rwhp, 20+mpg, leather, a/c, power everything... it's easy anymore these days. The only thing that makes my car remotely impressive is the fact that I made the power I did through an AOD, a Performer RPM intake, on 91 octane, a .544 lift hyd. roller cam and the car was still equipped with all the power robbers (a/c, power steering, stock clutch fan). Would you question it if it were not a foxbody?
Old 06-03-2006, 02:29 AM
Ecstasy
5th Gear Member

thats 03-04's not 80's and im not saying you dont have over 600hp i dont know how much hp you have, im just saying the 12-14 mpg thing is kinda the extended truth? im not saying you shouldnt make your car a daily driver if you have over 500+ hp im just saying its no point? you actually cause more harm to it then racing it, when you start doing all that to it, its made for racing and stuff not everyday driving tahts all im saying.
Old 06-03-2006, 02:59 AM
FullAuto
5th Gear Member

Actually I paid extra to keep my car streetable. I am in no way pushing my combo. It'a a Novi 2000 making 13psi. It's a mild 224/230 duration hyd. roller cam. The car has a good cooling system with a large 3 row aluminum AFCO radiator. It has a large tranny cooler and only a 3000 stall. The has a larger oil pan and tranny pan for more capacity. The car has methanol injection (although it wasn't in use on the dyno). The ring selection and gap, bearing selection and tolerances etc. were all considered when building the motor with an emphasis on keeping the car a street car. It is by far NOT a race car. I even paid extra for a certified cage with swingout door bars so I can get my wife in the car in tight mini-skirts. The back brace bar was custom curved further back to clear my nice thick stock bucket seat with it in driver's position (I'm 6'7"). The car was full stock interior with all the sound deadening and rear seat. I actually carry passengers in the rear though I must say it is fun to see them crawl under the back bars. The rear bars hug the ceiling until they reach the hatch area. I still run a stock gas tank.

I think where you are getting hung up on the mileage thing is the fact that is just makes so much power. Well it is a supercharged car, but I built this car for two reasons: 1. as a business advertisement and 2. because I can. I can and do drive the car for multiple days on end without ever making the boost guage move. If you don't put the car under a load, it won't make boost. Before I took it to the track last month, I hadn't filled the methanol resevoir in probably 3+ months. I just simply drive it. I am a little older than the average Mustang junkie though. And I don't race it that much. My business is a side thing and my full time job is in law enforcement, so you won't catch me street racing either. I am very **** about checking my fuel mileage. My 7.3L Powerstroke Crew Cab knocks down a consistent 17.5mpg and I run the a/c constantly. My supercharged Dart stroker never gets less than 12mpg unless it's after a track session.