5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

mustang has major issues help

Search this Thread

Old 06-04-2006, 12:17 AM
865.0trunk
1st Gear Member

Default mustang has major issues help

my car is messed up, when i hit the gas hard when it is nice and warmed up it will sputter and will not rev up. if i put the clutch in it will not even rev up. when it is doing this, if i shut the car off and wait a few seconds and start it up again it will be ok for a little bit like maybe 20 seconds. i changed fuel pump and filter. changed tps. changed distributor, with a used tfi module and used distrib. i dont know if the tfi was maybe bad? also today i shut it off and restarted it, it turned over slow like the timing was too advanced or something and the brakes felt alot harder which means i have mor vaccuum, the timing must have changed by itself. im thinking its maybe the tfi or computer, can anyone help, thansk alot guys.
Old 06-04-2006, 12:21 AM
TENGRAM
2nd Gear Member

Default RE: mustang has major issues help

check codes http://fordfuelinjection.com/?p=13

or method two shown here http://www.corral.net/tech/maintenance/eecivtest.html

let us know what codes you get
Old 06-04-2006, 12:23 AM
865.0trunk
1st Gear Member

i checked codes, i got tps. thats why i hcanged it.
Old 06-04-2006, 12:28 AM
TENGRAM
2nd Gear Member

what code(#) did it give? suggest you reset codes and check again.
Old 06-04-2006, 12:30 AM
TENGRAM
2nd Gear Member

also, what voltage does your tps read (with key in on position but car off)? (voltmeter hooked to black and green wires)
Old 06-04-2006, 12:36 AM
865.0trunk
1st Gear Member

tps is set properly. i have to wait till i get to work on monday to check the codes, im an apprentice, the mechanics havent really looked at it but its boggling there mind feels liek its not getting fuel or spark when its happening. and when it gets nice and warm it gets really bad can barely touch the gas and it does it. i have read some pple are having kinda the same problems so i duno i just need help but i will check the codes on monday with the scan tool
Old 06-04-2006, 12:52 AM
TENGRAM
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: 865.0trunk

tps is set properly. i have to wait till i get to work on monday to check the codes, im an apprentice, the mechanics havent really looked at it but its boggling there mind feels liek its not getting fuel or spark when its happening. and when it gets nice and warm it gets really bad can barely touch the gas and it does it. i have read some pple are having kinda the same problems so i duno i just need help but i will check the codes on monday with the scan tool
i guess i can understand if you want to wait to use a scan tool but really, you dont need it. in the links that i provided you in the first post it shows you exactly how to do it for free with only a paperclip or a single wire. it is simple and it is the prefered method to check codes. also i dont know if your scan tool can be used for the cylinder balance test that is outlined here http://www.corral.net/tech/maintenan...e.html#balance . this test (as well as the KOER test) would likely be the best way to diagnose your problem
Old 06-04-2006, 01:01 AM
865.0trunk
1st Gear Member

alright il try that tomorow its a little late right now in ontario
the only reason i wanted to wait til monday to do it was because i tried to do it before with a paper clip and i couldnt get the check engine light to flash maybe i was doing it wrong. and i didnt know the computer in mustangs had the ability to do that cylinder balance test. il try tomorow and get back thanks man
also the check engine light doesnt come on when i disconnect stuff like the o2 sensors. i know the bulb works because if i turn the ignition on it comes on but it donesnt come on when i disconnect sensors when its running.
Old 06-04-2006, 01:06 AM
TENGRAM
2nd Gear Member

if you find that your CEL does not work, you can use a testlight or voltmeter as described here http://www.corral.net/tech/maintenance/eecivtest.html. let us know
Old 06-04-2006, 05:14 PM
865.0trunk
1st Gear Member

ok i got codes 31 67 81 82 85 and 84 the only one that worries me is the MAP vacuum too low. arg.

Quick Reply: mustang has major issues help