5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

Search this Thread

Old 06-04-2006, 06:50 PM
FiveLiterRiceEater
5th Gear Member

Default ****.

so i was leaving the auto parts store, and i startd up my car and i heard an odd noise. i though it was probably a backfire through the exhaust and didnt think anything of it, i knew my car needed re timed. so i get home and shut the car off. then i hook up my timng light and blah blah and start the car back up, still fine. time it, put the spout back in, and rev it up at the throttle body. and it starts smokin, a lot.

Now, usually a little bit of smoke is normal for me cause i know i need rings. but this was a ton. so i shut the car off for about 15 minutes and restart it. i look under the car and see smoke pouring out of my exhaust. i rev it up at the pedal, and it stops for a second and then pours out again. so i shut it off. I just started it again, an hour later after checking all my plugs. All the plugs look good exccept for one, the number 5 plug (front cylinder, drivers side) and it was carbon fouled, like usual. so I start it back up and its still pouring smoke out.

Im thinkin the wierd noise i heard wasnt a backfire, but a piece of my piston ring breaking off and going through my exhaust. what do you fellas think?
Old 06-04-2006, 07:02 PM
grabbem88
6th Gear Member

Default RE: ****.

i'm gonna agree with ya....when you rev it you slap the piston up against the cyl wall....it clears up right?...

my old f150 had a piece broke off at the skirt.
Old 06-04-2006, 07:17 PM
FiveLiterRiceEater
5th Gear Member

Default RE: ****.

yeah i think thats whats going on.

sweet, now i get to take out a 4000 dollar loan so i can gets heads and a cam set and some other crap[:@]