5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

What does my stang need to fly?

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-2004, 03:22 PM
roundman
5th Gear Member

Default RE: What does my stang need to fly?

why not consult with the factory experts, that's why there're there! and it might just save you from making a big mistake based on some of the bad advice I've seen in some of the replies I read on this forum. frankly, some of the people out here don't know their *** from a hole in the ground when they reply to some of these questions. I'm always suspicious of anything that includes the phrases "I think it does this.." or "sounds reasonable to me..." or "my buddies say that it does....." or stuff similar to these. If people don't know the correct answer, I wish they would just not reply rather than send someone off on a wild goose chase to spend their money on something that ain't going to fix the problem they have with their car. I ain't perfect by no means, but I do qualify my remarks with a "I'm not exactly sure... or something like that when I don't know precisely what I'm talking about so people don't go off half cocked and waste their time and money.
There, I feel so much better now that I've got that off my chest![sm=lol.gif]
Old 04-21-2004, 06:19 AM
snowking11
1st Gear Member

Oh for sure. I am so confused. There is so much stuff out there, so many options, so many manufactors. Its really hard for me to figure out what to do. I know what i want as far as the performance, I want it to be a low 12 second daily driver that will last me a good while and not wear out on me quickly. I need to stay emission compliant, at least the big stuff, i can swap cats in and out. But i am having trouble figuring out what to do, what to buy it from etc etc
Old 04-21-2004, 02:01 PM
roundman
5th Gear Member

take your time and do some thorough research before you decide. strongly suggest you subscribe to Muscle Mustangs and Fast Fords magazine. These guys do great in-depth tech articles and feature articles on reader's rides where they detail everything the car has to perform the way it does and you can learn a lot about what other people are doing to get the performance they want out of their Stangs. I've been getting it for over 15 years now and have a nice library of back issues to use for reference purposes. IMO it's the best Ford and Mustang magazine out there today.
Old 04-21-2004, 05:04 PM
snowking11
1st Gear Member

Yeah i usually pick up a copy, but i should jsut subscribe and save the money. Well I am going to this car show this week end and my thinking is ill price out the Fuel pressure regualtor, wires, spark plugs, distributors, and maybe a Intake manifold, something like the Twisted wedge street heat and track. and if i see real good deal on any of ill scoop em up since i can put all that one the stock motor and it should work with what ever setup i decide upon...longblock, short block etc and another question if i throw the adjustable fuel presure regulator on the and turn it up just a tad will i get any more out of the motor or will i just be wasting gas and running rich?
Old 04-21-2004, 05:13 PM
roundman
5th Gear Member

adjusting the regulator will not make you run rich, as the O2 sensors will still monitor and control the injector pulse width times except at WOT when the computer goes into the open loop mode and then it just goes off the maps built in. this is where the regulator can help make more power as the higher pressure will flow more during the same fixed injector pulse widths. just be careful buying any used parts and make sure you don't get stuck with something that's broke! good luck finding what you want too!