5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

What's Up

Search this Thread

Old 06-07-2006, 03:16 AM
jthorn9
The Godfather

Default What's Up

Sorry for the half *** ***** post, but starting tomorrow I'm gonna become the proad owner of a Yellow 95 Mustang GT. As you can see I've been on the forums for a while, whoring up the place, but since I'm trading in the sixer for the GT, I figured I'd make a post to warm up to a few of you guys as I've never posted in this forum. BTW, I do have a few questions, the car is already equiped with an aftermarket shifter, but it doesn't feel like a short throw, under drive pulleys Cobr R rims, K&N filter (yea I know ohhhhhhhh) but anyways, an h pipe, Flowmaster 40s, it's been lowered by approx 2", and has a slightly damaged Saleen wing (easy fix though). Now here's a few of my questions. Being the fact that this is a manual, and I own an auto, how hard is it to install a short throw shifter, I've done all of the mods to my sixer myself, so I have a good idea about mechanics, just want to know what I'm in for, I'm also getting a MAC cai, new billit underdrive pulleys (the pulleys on the car are old as hell and showing there age), and a tri ax short shifter all compliments of http://www.autobadges.com/, he's really popular in the V6 forum. Any ways, the car does have a few problems, it has an exhaust leak on the passenger side of the headers, so what's a good header brand for the 5.0, the ignition key is broken and is held in place simply by a screw (it works, very well, but I do want to get that replaced) any body know of a site that sells this type of replacement part, the plastic panels where the window and door lock controle unit is broken on the passenger side, and none or the window units work, anybody know of a site that sells new window and door lock units, as well as pre painted door pannels, I know of a site that's located in NY, but can't think of their name for nothing. Anyways, thanks for any help givin, and I look forward to posting with you guys.[8D]
Old 06-07-2006, 04:17 AM
Stevens91gt
5th Gear Member

Default RE: What's Up

a good brand of headers is bbk

u can get equal or unequals

equal length is a lil harder to get in
Old 06-07-2006, 04:27 AM
boss429
3rd Gear Member

hooker equal length headers
Old 06-07-2006, 04:32 AM
Stevens91gt
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: boss429

hooker equal length headers
[:'(][:'(]

haha jk
Old 06-07-2006, 12:20 PM
jthorn9
The Godfather

Umm..........OK, sorry for the ignorance here, I'm a little new to this V8 thing, but outside of the fact that one set of heads is equal, the other set isn't, is there any other differences performance wise, quality wise, and any other secodary mods, like a special x or h pipe needed.
Old 06-07-2006, 12:29 PM
HACKGT350
6th Gear Member

equals flow a little better but not enought to make a noticable difference and they are a lot cooler looking i think. its harder to get your plugs in with the equals because they twist all over. you wont need a special mid pipe but if you want a new one i would def go with MAC o/r h-pipe or prochamber
Old 06-07-2006, 01:19 PM
AdderMk2
Banned

Since nobody answered your question about the short throw shifter.. ill take a stab at it.

unscrew the shift **** on your current shifter and pull out the shifter boot trim panel
you will notice 4 screws holding down a brass plate with a rubber covering the shifter, remove this plate
you will now see the top of the transmission where the shifter bolts on... remove these 4 screws and follow the installation instructions for your shifter.

while you have the shifter out, this would be a good time for you to check or even change your trans fluid... it is much easier to pour new fluid in through the shifter opening then it is to try to get it into the hole on the side of the tranny
Old 06-07-2006, 01:22 PM
jthorn9
The Godfather

Thanks for the info guys, well I'm getting ready to go, or at least try to, pick up my GT, so wish me luck.
Old 06-07-2006, 02:20 PM
Demon 340
Administrator

i thought that you said that there was no advantage getting a V8 over a V6?
Old 06-07-2006, 02:37 PM
AdderMk2
Banned

everyone knows the V8 owns the v6 in just about every way

and dont tell me the v6 gets better mileage.... i get 22mpg with a mix of city. highway driving.... in a Cobra

i can make the trip from my house to new england dragway (130 miles away) get in a day of racing, and drive home.. on one tank of gas