5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

Help!!! Why the leak

Search this Thread

Old 06-07-2006, 07:14 PM
88canadianstang
2nd Gear Member

Default Help!!! Why the leak

O.K. I just put my intake manifold back on, and the motor idles really high..around 2000. Then I went to check the cable in the motor and noticed coolant steadily leaking out of the throttle body. Might be coming from the 2 tubes that go through the throttle body?????? I'm sure I hooked everything up right.
Old 06-07-2006, 07:22 PM
92hatchLX
6th Gear Member

Default RE: Help!!! Why the leak

Sounds like you've found your problem buddy, you've got a vacuum leak (intake not properly sealed), which is also allowing coolant out. I would suggest removing the intake, using a sealant and tighten it down again. What type of intake did you install?
Old 06-07-2006, 07:25 PM
88canadianstang
2nd Gear Member

Sounds like you've found your problem buddy, you've got a vacuum leak (intake not properly sealed), which is also allowing coolant out. I would suggest removing the intake, using a sealant and tighten it down again. What type of intake did you install?
GT40. I figured a vacuum leak but would that cause the coolant to leak from the throttle body coolant lines?? And the lines/throttle body were smokin' hot only after about a minute of cold idling.
Old 06-07-2006, 07:40 PM
88canadianstang
2nd Gear Member

Nobody[]?? I'm nervous to start the car again with all the coolant that was coming out. I retourqed the bolts on the entire intake, they were a little loose.
Old 06-07-2006, 07:46 PM
92hatchLX
6th Gear Member

Alright, well I must not have understood you and I thought that the coolant leak was coming from your manifold. Here's something really easy to do that cleans up your engine bay and it will cure your leak problem. remove the coolant lines from your EGR spacer (there should be one that carries coolant into the EGR, and one that carries it out of the egr). Place a small bolt in each of the lines (make sure that you have to twist the bolt into the tubes so that it's pretty snug in there). Now place the hose clamps on coolant tubes and tighten them around your coolant line. You have now bypassed your egr. Now tuck those tubes somewhere near your fuel rails where they can not be seen and that will take care of your coolant leak. As for the vacuum issue that you are having now, make sure that you have tightened down the throttle body, and get a can of carb cleaner and start spraying around your intake to find your leak.
Old 06-07-2006, 07:49 PM
88canadianstang
2nd Gear Member

You the man Hatch! I was just doing a google search on that exact thing. I'll do that, it's not a winter car so.....goodbye to the TB coolant lines. Thanks alot.
Old 06-07-2006, 07:59 PM
92hatchLX
6th Gear Member

That's not a problem! My car gets driven in the winter sometimes but I've done this because I wanted a cleaner appearance and to keep the throttle body a little bit cooler. I'm sorry I don't make too much sense in that post, I have a hard time putting my thoughts into words, but you get the general jist of it right?
Old 06-07-2006, 08:02 PM
88canadianstang
2nd Gear Member

You made perfect sense.... I wish I knew of this a long time ago, it's a pretty neat read on the net, there's lots of differnt opinions out there on doing this. It makes sense it will only help keep the TB cooler.
Old 06-07-2006, 08:13 PM
TENGRAM
2nd Gear Member

the egr coolant lines are there to cool the egr spacer off. the coolant in those lines, though hot, is much cooler than the exhaust gas passing through the egr. your intake will run much much hotter with those lines removed. the fix for your problem, is to either tighten down the TB studs or remove the TB and egr spacer then reinstall them with the correct gaskets (i even use gasket sealant). this will fix the vacuum leak (as long as you installed the rest of the intake properly) and it will stop the coolant from leaking.
again, the coolant lines attatched to the egr spacer are not there for cold starts, they are there for cooling the egr spacer, which is subjected to extreme heat. do not dettatch them.
Old 06-08-2006, 03:10 AM
88canadianstang
2nd Gear Member

Yikes OK, I thought this was going to be totally straight forward.[&o] Hope there's no risk I blew coolant into the motor; after I took the intake off for the 2nd time I noticed the TB gasket was broken....hopefully this is the vacuum leak location. I have the spacer on the intake I was told not to use gasket sealer on that at all, but I'll seal up the rest of it really well. We'll see tomorrow.

Quick Reply: Help!!! Why the leak