5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

Custom cam VS. Others...

Search this Thread

Old 06-07-2006, 07:30 PM
Ninety5five0
5th Gear Member

Default Custom cam VS. Others...

I was looking to get a custom cam. I've heard from alot it will be alot better. The other cam that i was looking at is the trickflow stage 1. Complete setup would be: GT40P heads, Gt40 intake, 24# injectors, mass air sensor, upgrade fuel pump, 4.10's, advanced timing.

I think thats about it.

Do you think overall a custom cam would be better for me than some other cam ?
Old 06-07-2006, 07:34 PM
P Zero
5th Gear Member

Default RE: Custom cam VS. Others...

ORIGINAL: Ninety5five0

I was looking to get a custom cam. I've heard from alot it will be alot better. The other cam that i was looking at is the trickflow stage 1. Complete setup would be: GT40P heads, Gt40 intake, 24# injectors, mass air sensor, upgrade fuel pump, 4.10's, advanced timing.

I think thats about it.

Do you think overall a custom cam would be better for me than some other cam ?
i think a B303 would be a better choice. As for custom grinds, yes they are better. How much? I dont really know, Ive only had custom grinds made for ridiculous motors. The TFS stage 1 is designed for TFS heads w/ 2.02 valves so it might be a little bit of overkill for your setup.
-P.
Old 06-07-2006, 07:39 PM
Bad Karma
3rd Gear Member

Hey what is the main difference between the Ford cams?

I got a B303 in mine but don't know what to compare it against or what the main issues are between all of them...

B/E/Z/ What the heck?

Thanks,
Ivan

Sorry to hijack the thread...
Old 06-07-2006, 07:42 PM
P Zero
5th Gear Member

Well, the differences are lift and duration. To get the exact specs youd need to get the ford racing catalog. I know that the B303 is around .490 lift and 280degrees of duration. The E303 has way more lift and slightly longer duration. Im not sure about the F or Z cam. My next build is going to have a custom grind in it, but itll spin REALLY high.
-P.
Old 06-07-2006, 07:51 PM
jzgt
2nd Gear Member

The alphabet cams are good for off the shelf cams. They are, however, a one-size-fits-all type of solution. If you don't ever plan on changing anything, you can go with a custom cam and probably get better drivability and idle quality. If you're planning on a blower in the future and want a cam now but don't want to take it apart again, I'd recommend an E. If you're ok with taking it apart and want the right cam for your combination, I'd get a custom cam. Ed Curtis (FlowTech Induction) is pretty good. I had a custom cam from him in an S-trim (14# Pulley) car that made 490 to the rear wheels with a set of AFR's and a Cobra intake. The cam idled nearly like a stocker and was way better at low RPM parking lot type of duty (no bucking) than an E Cam.

Just my .02

Edit: I forgot to mention Cam Motion but they do a bunch of stuff for the turbo set.

- Jeff
Old 06-07-2006, 07:59 PM
P Zero
5th Gear Member

AFR's have 2.02's in em so an E cam would be great. The gt40's have 1.94's so IMO a B303 would a better choice.
-P.
Old 06-07-2006, 08:11 PM
jzgt
2nd Gear Member

Yup - I agree with you, especially if he's going to stay NA.

- Jeff
Old 06-08-2006, 05:42 PM
Ninety5five0
5th Gear Member

In the futur i would like to spray or put on a blower. But i'm not too sure on either of those.....

So lets say i do spray....An E cam or B cam would be a good choice for me ? And would still be a good choice for my N/A app. for now ?

I'm just in a really big hurry to get this motor back together so i can have a car. So right now i'm thinkin an off the shelf cam is gonna be better for me because i'm not too sure what i'm doing in the future, and i want to get it together really quick.

Thanks for all the inputs
Old 06-08-2006, 06:04 PM
Chuy1988
2nd Gear Member

I would suggest to stick to a letter cam unless you go stoker then a custom cam will be a good idea.
Old 06-08-2006, 10:27 PM
tinman
5th Gear Member

I think that he needs to look at the duration @.050
The bigger duration @ .050 will be the more aggressive cam.
IMHO, I'll always take more lift over more duration because thats where torque comes from.
It is possible to use a 1.7 rocker however to play with the lift side a little.....

Quick Reply: Custom cam VS. Others...