5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

A/C delete

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-2006, 04:04 PM
TENGRAM
2nd Gear Member

Default RE: A/C delete

ORIGINAL: 2 kwik

just go to autozone and get a belt for a non-ac car..I believe a 85-89 had the delete option
this will not work. as i have explained, the cars with a/c have a different bracket setup. compared to the non-a/c cars, the power steering pump is mounted much lower. the a/c is above that. if you simply try to bypass the a/c the belt will rub itself above the waterpump. the non-a/c belt available at the parts store probably would not even fit, if it did it would definitly rub. trust me, i spent hours going back and forth to autozone to get the right belt. none fit. it looks like it would work, but it does not. why would they bother to sell a delete kit, if you didn't need it?

seriously, if you want to waste your time trying it that way, go right ahead. in fact, if you do try it, post up after you realize i am right, i could use the laugh.
Old 06-09-2006, 04:15 PM
driver187
2nd Gear Member

jag man here look at this this might help out https://mustangforums.com/photo_view.asp?file=0;1476713
Old 06-09-2006, 04:33 PM
TENGRAM
2nd Gear Member

ok, to illustrate my point i have modified the picture posted above. the first change is shown in red. it looks like it will fit but the tensioner is actually lower than shown in the pic. i assure you it will not fit. the second attachment will show the same modified belt routing, but with a more accurate tensioner location. unlike these other guys, i speak from actual experience, when i say it won't work.

[IMG]local://upfiles/37956/8D1F8ECE87D940D6BA427293B9885481.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]local://upfiles/37956/E999EAB6BB24477E805A3C33632F43F7.jpg[/IMG]
Old 06-09-2006, 04:44 PM
Chuy1988
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: jagman454

So my stang sat over winter on the carport and i think the A/C sized up.... i dont really feel like messing with it so I was thinking about just deleting it, does anyone know how much HP i can expect from this and where i can find a good A/C delete kit?

I just deleted my A/C and it was the best thing I did. I bought the A/C delete kit from www.50resto.com and I also got the belt that goes with it. I also added BBK aluminium pully and you can notice a big diiference. I don't know how much HP I've gains but for sure I have. Also you get wieght reduction and better fuel mialge. That A/C is f**kin heavy! Not crazy heavy but if you do it you'll see what I'm talking about. So I personally liked it.
Old 06-09-2006, 05:42 PM
89gtsleeper
2nd Gear Member

I would recommend the FRPP A/C delete. If your state allows it, I would go ahead and lose the smog equip also. FRPP has the whole kit for this, including the belt. 50resto even has a kit for about 140 that includes underdrive pulleys, belt, smog and a/c delete brackets, and all hardware... This kit is a solid 15hp gain, and even more compared to when you were using the a/c.

If you don't want the whole kit, just get the a/c delete plate, and belt. You may need to reclock your tensioner pulley, and by this I mean drill new holes in it's back plate to adjust it anyway you want. On my car with a blower and no a/c, I don't use the ttensioner pulley... I have to undo two bolts on my p/s pump braket, and move the p/s pump inward toward the motor. That allows me to take the belt off and on. When I put the belt back on, I slide it over the p/s pulley first, then force the entire p/s pump outward, toward the fender, and bolt it in while I'm forcing it over... it keeps the proper tension on everything, and does it without a tensioner pulley.

If you try to set it up some other way, and there is a very small gap between tensioner pulley and waterpump pulley... beware.... That new belt you buy is going to slip over time, and will create the possibility of it rubbing later.... That coudl een cause a fire in your engine compartment which is definitely a bad thing.
Old 06-09-2006, 06:41 PM
Chuy1988
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: 89gtsleeper

I would recommend the FRPP A/C delete. If your state allows it, I would go ahead and lose the smog equip also. FRPP has the whole kit for this, including the belt. 50resto even has a kit for about 140 that includes underdrive pulleys, belt, smog and a/c delete brackets, and all hardware... This kit is a solid 15hp gain, and even more compared to when you were using the a/c.

If you don't want the whole kit, just get the a/c delete plate, and belt. You may need to reclock your tensioner pulley, and by this I mean drill new holes in it's back plate to adjust it anyway you want. On my car with a blower and no a/c, I don't use the ttensioner pulley... I have to undo two bolts on my p/s pump braket, and move the p/s pump inward toward the motor. That allows me to take the belt off and on. When I put the belt back on, I slide it over the p/s pulley first, then force the entire p/s pump outward, toward the fender, and bolt it in while I'm forcing it over... it keeps the proper tension on everything, and does it without a tensioner pulley.

If you try to set it up some other way, and there is a very small gap between tensioner pulley and waterpump pulley... beware.... That new belt you buy is going to slip over time, and will create the possibility of it rubbing later.... That coudl een cause a fire in your engine compartment which is definitely a bad thing.
There's no drilling involved. The kit comes with all the bolts and plates. The belt in seprate though. You have to buy the belt aside.

Old 01-07-2008, 08:53 PM
-SHIFTY-
2nd Gear Member

Well after digging around tonight and checking with two parts stores, I gave in and bought the kit. Hope install is as easy as you make it sound. Looking forward to a few extra ponys to play with.