MustangForums.com

MustangForums.com (https://mustangforums.com/forum/index.php)
-   5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang (https://mustangforums.com/forum/5-0l-1979-1995-mustang-14/)
-   -   A/C delete (https://mustangforums.com/forum/5-0l-1979-1995-mustang/137496-a-c-delete.html)

jagman454 06-09-2006 02:58 AM

A/C delete

So my stang sat over winter on the carport and i think the A/C sized up.... i dont really feel like messing with it so I was thinking about just deleting it, does anyone know how much HP i can expect from this and where i can find a good A/C delete kit?

mustangfxbdy 06-09-2006 03:06 AM

RE: A/C delete

dont know how much hp you can receive but you can take the compressor off and leave it off take a string put it around all pulleys like you would a belt then measure it and go to parts store and tell them the size serpintine belt you need. you dont have to get a idler pulley to get rid of it just to keep the stock belt. thats the cheapest way ive done it in the past on other cars...

but i would put the a/c back on as soon as you could. its going to be a hot summer.

Stevens91gt 06-09-2006 03:08 AM

i dont think its that much

u lose a lot of power when the a/c is running

TENGRAM 06-09-2006 03:25 AM

ORIGINAL: mustangfxbdy

dont know how much hp you can receive but you can take the compressor off and leave it off take a string put it around all pulleys like you would a belt then measure it and go to parts store and tell them the size serpintine belt you need. you dont have to get a idler pulley to get rid of it just to keep the stock belt. thats the cheapest way ive done it in the past on other cars...

but i would put the a/c back on as soon as you could. its going to be a hot summer.
have you done this on a mustang? i've tried and it did not work. one size belt was too short next size up was too long. the tensioner pushes down on the belt forcing the belt to rub itself above the waterpump. not saying that its not possible, maybe with just the right belt, but i had no luck.

the FRPP A/C delete kit is what i suggest, $40 i think. the a/c system weighs between 25 and 40lbs. you will likely only gain horsepower compared with having the a/c running.

settled4automatic 06-09-2006 03:28 AM

i've got an a/c delete kit that moves the power steering up to the a/c bracket -- my belt is DAMN close to touching, if not touching a little bit -- but there's no signs of harm on it.. yet lol. i'm thinkin about goin and gettin a spare belt and keeping a couple wrenches in my car incase i don't watch it close enough and it snaps on me.

anyways, if you just wanna bypass the a/c -- some foxes came without a/c, so just go to your parts store and say that you want the belt for your car without a/c. if you still have the belt diagram under the hood, it should show another line where the other belt would route, without the a/c compressor in the loop. check it out.

TENGRAM 06-09-2006 03:51 AM

ORIGINAL: settled4automatic

i've got an a/c delete kit that moves the power steering up to the a/c bracket -- my belt is DAMN close to touching, if not touching a little bit -- but there's no signs of harm on it.. yet lol. i'm thinkin about goin and gettin a spare belt and keeping a couple wrenches in my car incase i don't watch it close enough and it snaps on me.

anyways, if you just wanna bypass the a/c -- some foxes came without a/c, so just go to your parts store and say that you want the belt for your car without a/c. if you still have the belt diagram under the hood, it should show another line where the other belt would route, without the a/c compressor in the loop. check it out.
i've got the same kit, i dont think your belt should be that close. at least mine wasn't. also the factory non-a/c cars came with the power steering relocated upwards. you would need the a/c delete kit or the brackets off a non-a/c car to bypass, or the belt will rub itself severely.

AdderMk2 06-09-2006 04:59 AM

you guys must be running your belt incorrectly, because i setup my friends 88lx with a short belt to bypass the smog, and the PS was already up top... but the belt doesnt come anywhere NEAR touching

AdderMk2 06-09-2006 05:22 AM

here is an image i found that should clarify things

http://midlifeclassiccars.com/bookimages/1939.jpg

see how the belt is routed?

now this drawing is not to scale.. so please.. bare with me

http://img91.imageshack.us/img91/3491/belt14av.th.jpg

2 kwik 06-09-2006 03:38 PM

just go to autozone and get a belt for a non-ac car..I believe a 85-89 had the delete option

TENGRAM 06-09-2006 03:54 PM

ORIGINAL: AdderMk2

you guys must be running your belt incorrectly, because i setup my friends 88lx with a short belt to bypass the smog, and the PS was already up top... but the belt doesnt come anywhere NEAR touching
we are talking about eliminating the a/c, not the smog pump. the SP is actually quite simple to bypass. in your case the a/c had already been deleted with a kit