5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

Timing/fuel problem.HELP!!!

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-2004, 11:51 PM
88stang5.0
2nd Gear Member

Default Timing/fuel problem.HELP!!!

ok i am kinda getting pissed at the old stang. i cant get the timing right on it. i got a timing light and i have had it at every degree between like 5deg ret and like 15 deg advanced. but it wont stop pinging or it kinda makes a popping type sound. i am using 93 octane. so i have no idea what could be wrong except maybe something with the fuel or something. but when u take off the little clip thing and set it it runs alot smoother then when i plug it back in. also when it is plugged in i checked the timing and it goes like to 0 and the to about 10 deg retarded. i have no idea if this is supposed to do this. so when i set it at 12 deg adv then plug the clip in it jumps around -5deg and 5+ then when i give it gas it is at like 10deg-. any ideas what is going wrong here. just to make sure counterclockwise rotation is advance and clockwise is retard? also another question i dont have a adjustable fuel pressure reg but i checked my spark plugs and they are not black but white with a little tan on the tip. so i think that is lean but not sure. But would the car ping if it is not getting enough fuel? sorry this is so long. it is a 88 stang with maf conversion.
Old 04-22-2004, 02:06 AM
nhdungeonracer
3rd Gear Member

Default RE: Timing/fuel problem.HELP!!!

It sounds like your checking the timing right, but since it was hard for me to follow along with what you were saying, I'll explain it as best I can.
To set the timing, with the car off, pull the spout connector. Start the car and set the timing. Stock is 10 degrees BTDC, though it's fairly common for guys to set it at 14 BTDC. In your case, since you're trying to get it to stop pinging, I recommend you set it at 10 BTDC. Once it's set, turn the car off and replace the spout connector. Should be all set now.
Course, if the timing chain is stretched (does the car have a lot of miles?), while you may have the ignition timing right, the cam timing will be off, and this would mean the fuel is not getting in the cylinder at the right time.
Keep trying, you'll get it figured out eventually. Look at that OB guy, and what he's been thru Yet I finally met him with his car at the track tonite, so good things can happen if you keep trying
Old 04-22-2004, 02:10 AM
WesDe
2nd Gear Member

Stock timing is 10 retarted. To set it turn the car off, loosen up the distributor hold down bolt,unplug the spout, turn the car on and set it to 10 degrees. Counter clock is advance, clock is retard. Dont forget to tighten the hold down bolt and plug the spout back in. If your timing keeps jumping after then you might need a new timing chain ot a new distributor.
Old 04-22-2004, 02:12 AM
WesDe
2nd Gear Member

i guess we repeated each other
Old 04-22-2004, 02:21 AM
nhdungeonracer
3rd Gear Member

Stock timing is 10 retarted.
Uh, I don't believe it's retarded. I'm pretty sure it's advanced, as in Before Top Dead Center-BTDC
Old 04-22-2004, 02:26 AM
WesDe
2nd Gear Member

Im sorry you are correct. i meant to say BTDC. It is 10 advanced.[&:]