5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

Timing my car....please help!!

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-2004, 11:05 AM
StangMang
5th Gear Member

Default Timing my car....please help!!

I am currently in the process of timing my car....i have just put an Edelbrock Intake on with new 70mm TB...now i have never timed a car before, but thought that i could give it a shot...the thing is when i installed my new intake i had to take off the distributor...so now with the new intake on the distributor isn't in the right place and i have no clue how to go about timing...the car won't start so i can't use a timing light....any help PLEASE!!!
Old 04-22-2004, 11:13 AM
50fiend
2nd Gear Member

Default RE: Timing my car....please help!!

Set the timing mark on the damper to 10 deg and set the rotor in the distributor to the #1 cylinder wire. This should get you close enough to get the car to start then you can use the timing light. I actually set mine to on the 0 and it was 20+ when I put the light on it. So you might even try setting it to 0 to start with.
Old 04-22-2004, 11:16 AM
StangMang
5th Gear Member

ok...thanks...but last night i was looking at the damper and i am not sure on how to move the timing mark...just pull it or do i need any wrenches?
Old 04-22-2004, 11:25 AM
50fiend
2nd Gear Member

I have nothing on the front of my motor, so I just reach down and rotate the crank pulley until I get it where I want it. It's easier if you remove the spark plugs because there's no compression. Other than that, you can bump the starter until its close and then rotate it where it needs to be. Also, you can put a braker bar on the crank bolt and turn it.
Old 04-22-2004, 05:44 PM
roundman
5th Gear Member

you need to make sure that #1 cylinder is coming up on the compression stroke when you set the distributor. pull the #1 plug and put your finger in the hole and bump the starter until you feel the pressure blowing your finger out. then check the timing marks and if necessary, turn the crank with a wrench until you get to TDC. remove the distributor cap and see where the rotor is pointing. if it ain't pointing to the #1 wire in the cap, pull the distributor back out and rotate the rotor and reinsert it until it fully seats with the rotor pointing at the #1 wire. this should get it close enough to fire and run until you can set it with the timing light. when you set the timing, there is a little black plug in the wiring harness at the distributor called the spout connector. you have to unplug this when you set the timing and then plug it back in after you get the timing set. unplugging it take the computer out of the timing and lets you set the base timing, plugging it back in lets the computer adjust the timing and plugged in is the normal position. also make sure the idle isn't too high when you set the timing, check the decal on the fender for proper rpm.
hope this helps you out some.
Old 04-22-2004, 05:49 PM
StangMang
5th Gear Member

thanks alot roundman....that helps alot