5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

how long would this take on average???

Search this Thread

Old 06-11-2006, 03:08 AM
AdderMk2
Banned

Default RE: how long would this take on average???

ORIGINAL: Joel5.0

....+.... ....
what are they doing with your engine?...a reverse engineering exercise on performance setups?....once you set your overall combo (heads, pistons, intake, injectors, etc), the cam that will support your performance expectations is designed.....PtV issues?....need to find out after the cam is installed, timed, and measured, and provide for clearance reqs.......or performance gain will not be accomplished.....IMHO.
completly incorrect... measuring his PTV clearence off the current cam will tell them how much bigger they can go... shows how much YOU know

i'll be doing the same thing with my current cam. once my valve covers come ovv i will use the spring method of measuring my current ptv clearence and i will see how much room i have left... this will help me choose a cam that will fit without any issues.
Old 06-11-2006, 03:26 AM
myshifter
I ♥ Acer

ORIGINAL: AdderMk2

....+.... ....
what are they doing with your engine?...a reverse engineering exercise on performance setups?....once you set your overall combo (heads, pistons, intake, injectors, etc), the cam that will support your performance expectations is designed.....PtV issues?....need to find out after the cam is installed, timed, and measured, and provide for clearance reqs.......or performance gain will not be accomplished.....IMHO.
completly incorrect... measuring his PTV clearence off the current cam will tell them how much bigger they can go... shows how much YOU know

i'll be doing the same thing with my current cam. once my valve covers come ovv i will use the spring method of measuring my current ptv clearence and i will see how much room i have left... this will help me choose a cam that will fit without any issues.
Room you have left as in valve lift?
Old 06-11-2006, 08:55 AM
AdderMk2
Banned

lift at overlap... basically you need to find out how much extra you have while still keeping in spec.
Old 06-11-2006, 12:31 PM
Joel5.0
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: AdderMk2

....+.... ....

Could I ask a simple question?......how would you know the actual clearance of X or Y cam on a specific setup combo (heads, pistons, rockers....etc) if you don't measure it installed?......, or is PtV clearance a parameter that is now included in the specifications on the cam card?...........

"Similar duration/lift" cams will have different overlap values/timing dependant on the lobe profile, LSA, phase event timings and installation (advanced/@0°/retarded)...reason why you have cams with advertised overlap in the 60°-65° range, but overlap @.05" in the -2° to +15° range....and could only be "safely" taken care of by measuring it installed, having a custom cam ground with that "limitation", knowing the cam's VOTC value (which I think Isky cams are the only ones that provide it)........or finding out about the possibility of a clearance problem the "bent valves" way.