5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

how long would this take on average???

Search this Thread

Old 06-10-2006, 05:40 PM
ikeybmg
5th Gear Member

Default how long would this take on average???

aight guys, the dyno tune and cam swap has been post poned a couple more weeks because they were swamped. the only thing theyre gonna do is check ptv clearance so we can have a cam ground, cam install, and rpmII install. thats why ive not installed the rpmII yet because its just a waste of time if they just have to jerk it again anyways. my question is....for all the mechanics out there. how long on average would it take to install a cam/intake and do a dyno tune with custom chip? i have a paint appointment in about 1 1/2 months so by the time they actually get my car in ill have around a month before paint time. should they be able to pull this off? thanks all!!!
Old 06-10-2006, 05:42 PM
DR8907
3rd Gear Member

Default RE: how long would this take on average???

i dont see any reason they shouldnt have your car done in a month... I dont really know anything about tuning and dyno, but it shouldnt take that long to put a cam in and do an intake swap
Old 06-10-2006, 05:45 PM
ikeybmg
5th Gear Member

yup, shouldnt take a week really. you know how some places are though. surely they can do that in a month
Old 06-10-2006, 05:48 PM
DR8907
3rd Gear Member

yeah... my mechanic is pretty quick, but I know some places take forever... why dont you do some of the stuff yourself and save alot of money and time?
Old 06-10-2006, 05:52 PM
ikeybmg
5th Gear Member

well, i did alot of it but i dont hae the equipment to do a cam swap. i would do the intake but i know theyll just have to remove it to check the ptv clearance anyways so.., but i did do my fluidyne rad, lakewood shocks struts, subframes, d/s loop, 70mm tb, cai, but im gonna let them install my adjustable fpr because its simple and theyll have to set it when they dynotune it.
Old 06-10-2006, 05:54 PM
FiveLiterRiceEater
5th Gear Member

4.584322 years.
Old 06-10-2006, 09:36 PM
ikeybmg
5th Gear Member

anyone else wanna add their .02
Old 06-10-2006, 09:41 PM
myshifter
I ♥ Acer

2 days drinking a 6 pack, max, thats working slow. As for checking PTV clearance, I hope they are not just going to go off max valve lift, if so thats totally wrong and its a crapshoot. Max valve lift has nothing to do with PTV clearance. It's overlap, as the intake valve is at max lift the piston is already traveling down the bore drawing the intake charge. Ask them what thier method fro checking this clearance is and if they tell you max valve lift, take your **** and run fast http://sbftech.com/index.php/topic,57.0.html
Old 06-10-2006, 09:41 PM
2 kwik
I ♥ Acer

cam,intake about 4 hours add about 1 hour to check clearance......dyno-chip about 1 hour
Old 06-10-2006, 10:03 PM
ikeybmg
5th Gear Member

ill check into that bro. what kind of cam am i looking at? im going custom, as i hear thats the way to go. which company grinds good cams? im gonna shoot some nos to it. and i want about a 1500-6500 rpm range. they said they use the clay to check clearance.
ORIGINAL: myshifter

2 days drinking a 6 pack, max, thats working slow. As for checking PTV clearance, I hope they are not just going to go off max valve lift, if so thats totally wrong and its a crapshoot. Max valve lift has nothing to do with PTV clearance. It's overlap, as the intake valve is at max lift the piston is already traveling down the bore drawing the intake charge. Ask them what thier method fro checking this clearance is and if they tell you max valve lift, take your **** and run fast http://sbftech.com/index.php/topic,57.0.html

Quick Reply: how long would this take on average???