5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

Well it happened...

Old 06-11-2006, 08:51 PM
Black Snake
5th Gear Member

Default Well it happened...

I think I just broke somthing in my motor.

Took it for a drive today for the first time in 2 weeks. She was driving nicley, backfiring a bit but nothing too bad. Did a couple of drivebys on half throttle with only about 4 psi. Then came into my garage, and what do i see its pouring oil under the motor.

Im like ****! Its pouring out of the right side of the motor (passenger). The car still turns on and thers no knocking, no water in oil and its not coming out of the valve covers. Im looking under the hood right now and I dont see where it can be leaking. At first glance I thought it was the return line from the SC.

Any ideas? Also I relized when the car was running it was only at 20 psi on the fuel pressure regulator. Im so confused.
Old 06-11-2006, 09:00 PM
boss429
3rd Gear Member

Default RE: Well it happened...

aww man,

no clue here, but you definitely have my sympathy.

such a beautiful car to be in pain like that
Old 06-11-2006, 09:09 PM
Black Snake
5th Gear Member

I dont have a clue what it is. Theres still oil in the oil pan my dipstick says its full. No shaving in the oil I just dont know. This is depressing.
Old 06-11-2006, 09:17 PM
luckythirteen13
6th Gear Member

did you damage the sc? could be dripping from there.

on the plus side, now you have a good excuse to get a 351 and stick the vortech on that
Old 06-11-2006, 09:41 PM
turbostang21
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Black Snake

I dont have a clue what it is. Theres still oil in the oil pan my dipstick says its full. No shaving in the oil I just dont know. This is depressing.

that doesn't make sense....did it have time to cool and settle or did this just happen. what did you use for you're return line and fittings? sorry to hear the news but i have a feeling it's an easy fix
Old 06-11-2006, 09:42 PM
Black Snake
5th Gear Member

Well I found the problem, it was the valve cover gasket. I seems that I over tightened the bolts and crushed the gasket. Whoa thats a load off my mind.

I was thinking that exact same thing when it happened. 351 here I come.
Old 06-11-2006, 09:52 PM
turbostang21
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Black Snake

Well I found the problem, it was the valve cover gasket. I seems that I over tightened the bolts and crushed the gasket. Whoa thats a load off my mind.

I was thinking that exact same thing when it happened. 351 here I come.
maybe next year
Old 06-11-2006, 10:17 PM
2 kwik
I ♥ Acer

first thing is when a s/c engine has a back fire you don't keep driving it ,you fix it...next time it won't be a vc gasket
Old 06-11-2006, 10:46 PM
Black Snake
5th Gear Member

Yea I know I have my tunning apointment on tuesday and going to get that fixed. I just missed driving my car. I actually almost lost control of it when I was at half throttle, tires spun in second and almost went sideways. Boy I need some traction. Im just soo relieved. I guess when I installed the valve covers I messing one of the bolts holes. The gasket is one of those Felpro blues. Nice gasket but tricky.

I dont know if I wanna call it a back fire but it sputtured and poped in the intake a bit. Beside that im taking it in and getting it fixed.
Old 06-11-2006, 10:52 PM
grabbem88
6th Gear Member

i have some morrosso valve cover gaskets...less than 100 miles on them...take care of shipping,and maybe a bonus there yours....i also have a set of felpro blues also.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Well it happened...