5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

So I have $800 to spend at Summit... couple questions so help me out!!!

Search this Thread

Old 06-11-2006, 11:31 PM
OJMiles
3rd Gear Member

Default So I have $800 to spend at Summit... couple questions so help me out!!!

Ok...

My goals are: Daily driver, so keep reliability & drivability, but eventually into the mid to low 13's.

Originally I was going to do a swap in a 87 Notchback. I came accross and purchased a 93 auto GT instead... so I'm sending back about $800 worth of ignition and other stuff (actually more but I have a probably local buyer for the intake/carb) that I was going to send back to Summit. I dont want to buy gears yet, since I might be able to get a set of brand new FRPP 3.55's for free. And I dont want to do anything with the transmission yet since I'll have another AOD to get built. I also have about $75 worth of those Summit Bucks, if they'll let you use them all at once, so potentially $875-$900 worth to spend.

So here's I already have for the car:
Car has some sort of aftermarket mufflers, so prob change those later...
BBK Ceramic headers
BBK H-Pipe.
FRPP "B" Springs
KYB GR2 shocks/struts
Poly Motor & Transmission mounts
Poly Front sway bar bushings,
Poly Spring seats.
Jegs Alum Radiator for Manual (going to add an ext. trans cooler)
ProForm Electric Fan.
New Thermostat, Jegs Water pump, FRPP Hose Kit, and water neck.

And here's what I was thinking
New plugs, dunno what to get there
New wires, prob MSD - $75
MSD coil for TFI - $50 - hotter spark cant be bad?
BBK Fender mount CAI - $150
BBK 65mm throttlebody & plate - $225
new >70mm MAF for 19lbs inj... dunno what to get here.. any suggestions? ~$225
Underdrive pulleys... gonna leave off the alternator... Should I get aluminum or Steel pulleys ? - $60-150... I hear ASP is good though.

Any other suggestions, i'm open to them... everybody in this forum is always "you should get xxx instead" so nows your time to tell me :-)

-- OJM/NREMT-P - Richmond, VA

Old 06-12-2006, 12:01 AM
50lxnotch
2nd Gear Member

Default RE: So I have $800 to spend at Summit... couple questions so help me out!!!

sell that cat back exhaust and get some more money, but buy a SLP Loudmouth cat back, amazing sound, and their only like $480 or somethin at Summit, get alluminum pulleys, less weight, just as strong.
Old 06-12-2006, 12:04 AM
Stevens91gt
5th Gear Member

Default RE: So I have $800 to spend at Summit... couple questions so help me out!!!

that looks like a decent list

but u should get an intake manifold IMO

or save up and get some heads
Old 06-12-2006, 12:04 AM
Black Snake
5th Gear Member

NOS!! LOL nitrous would be a nice upgrade.

Also maybe some lowering springs, shocks, struts and maybe some control arms.
Old 06-12-2006, 12:09 AM
OJMiles
3rd Gear Member

Black Snake

You didnt read the post, I already have FRPP springs, KYB GR-2 strucks & shocks...

For the most part I'm just looking for what to do with the credit they're going to give me at summit... I'd rather have at least part of that back in cash/back in my checking account, but its not that big of a deal, i guess i'll just get a bunch of the boltons at once and get a intake manifold and heads later...

-- ojm
Old 06-12-2006, 12:11 AM
Black Snake
5th Gear Member

Oops I need to learn how to read and spell better heh. Oh then got for a nice Intake Cam combo and save for the heads later.
Old 06-12-2006, 12:36 AM
FiveLiterRiceEater
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Black Snake

NOS!! LOL nitrous would be a nice upgrade.

Also maybe some lowering springs, shocks, struts and maybe some control arms.

you stole my idea *****!!
Old 06-12-2006, 01:08 AM
Dath
2nd Gear Member

Motorsport makes a nice 9mm set for $30-40 which would be half the cost of the MSD's. I'd also stick with the steel pulleys since the weight difference isn't worth the $20 difference. If you are not using the underdrive alternator pulley for fear of running low on juice, the 94' and up stangs came with a 130 amp stock. Find a junker, switch out your 75 amp and use the pulley. Put the rest of your coin in the H/C/I combo fund.
Old 06-12-2006, 01:28 AM
boss429
3rd Gear Member

BBK SSI intake, fack that thing is a beast
Old 06-12-2006, 04:09 AM
OJMiles
3rd Gear Member

With all this, and gears, do you think i can get into the low 14's ? Also, whats the word on Aluminum vs. Steel Pulleys ? what MAF should I get? The only ones Summit sells is the Granetelli... and they have an option for "Cold Air Tuned"... whats the deal with that?

-- OJM

Quick Reply: So I have $800 to spend at Summit... couple questions so help me out!!!