5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

wats up with my ignition?

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-2006, 05:41 AM
lookinforastang
I ♥ Acer

Default wats up with my ignition?

i went to start my car after it had sat for like an hour

i crank the key its tryin to fire up but nothing? i let the key back a little and she fires right up

wtf is the issue now? lol man its always sumtin

cars goin into the shop tomorrow i cant wait these little things are killing me. i just want my car perfect is that too much to ask??!? lol [:@]
Old 06-12-2006, 11:32 AM
g2_5point0
2nd Gear Member

Default RE: wats up with my ignition?

maybe the fuel pump didn't prime the first time around? try priming it once, turn the ignition off and then prime it again to see if it starts in one go
Old 06-12-2006, 12:57 PM
Joel5.0
5th Gear Member

If you "let the key back a little and she fires right up "....the problem might be the ignition switch....
Old 06-12-2006, 01:00 PM
88stangaruu
5th Gear Member

yea i agree on both of those, it may just be the fuel pump trying to prime, it takes a sec to build up fuel pressure. Then it may be the ignition switch to, mines going out and i have to take my + battery cable off cause the switch wont cut off even if i take the key out.
Old 06-12-2006, 01:25 PM
lookinforastang
I ♥ Acer

well its getting a new pump (hi-flow) and gas tank and ignition keylock cylinder.

some other small things like beefer terminal cables and a good tune up

u guys think'll just quit on me though like this car is my daily driver and ill baby it all day long i just dont want it to leave me stranded.

it let it crank for a while the other day when it did this thinking maybe the engine wasnt getting fuel. never had this kind of problem luckily i played with the key and got her going.

thanks for the replies guys and good call with the priming trick. my pumps usually loud for a couple seconds and i dont remember hearing it those past 2 times
Old 06-12-2006, 01:37 PM
Joel5.0
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: lookinforastang

well its getting a new pump (hi-flow) and gas tank and ignition keylock cylinder.

u guys think'll just quit on me though like this car is my daily driver and ill baby it all day long i just dont want it to leave me stranded.

it let it crank for a while the other day when it did this thinking maybe the engine wasnt getting fuel. never had this kind of problem luckily i played with the key and got her going.

thanks for the replies guys and good call with the priming trick. my pumps usually loud for a couple seconds and i dont remember hearing it those past 2 times
FYI.....
It's not the ignition keylock cylinder you should change, it's the ignition electrical switch assy. that goes bad, Ford even has a TSB for their replacement.
Old 06-12-2006, 05:32 PM
lookinforastang
I ♥ Acer

Is this something I could change myself?

ill buy one in a couple days
Old 06-12-2006, 06:37 PM
Bad Karma
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Joel5.0

ORIGINAL: lookinforastang

FYI.....
It's not the ignition keylock cylinder you should change, it's the ignition electrical switch assy. that goes bad, Ford even has a TSB for their replacement.
+1 ...All Dirty, All Night....

Good job, Joel!
-Ivan
Old 06-12-2006, 06:44 PM
5.0 MPG
4th Gear Member

there pretty easy to swap out. you need a special star socket for the bolts. theres two and they have a pin in the middle. other that that its a breeze.
Old 06-12-2006, 06:57 PM
89stanglx
3rd Gear Member

ignition switch cost me $10 and took 45 min to replace i used vice grips on the two small screws.

Quick Reply: wats up with my ignition?