5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

help please

Search this Thread

Old 06-16-2006, 11:46 PM
rookie89

Default help please

ok so i have done some work to my stang aluminum heads, intake, headers, etc. when i was doing all this i was kind of in a hurry and i didn't pay attention to the gaskets. i have yet to get it running right. but that's not the problem the problem is ever since i did the work my car has wanted to run really hot. i have never let it overheat or anything but a few months ago i was driving it and it started running really hot really fast. i drove it maybe 1 mile from my house and on the way back it tried to overheat. i check my water and oil and found that i had water in my oil. one of my ?'s is...is there any reason that my head gaskets should have 2 water jackets on both sides of the block covered? 2nd it has been sitting the for 3 months while i have been deployed (air force) so should i have the block rebuilt? buy a new block? was the gasket covering the holes what caused that to happen? if i should buy a new block where is a good place to shop?
Old 06-17-2006, 12:33 AM
mcfomco
3rd Gear Member

Default RE: help please

If you never let it overheat like you say. You might be able to get away with replacing the head gaskets and pay attention this time when installing them. They will only work one way so make sure you get them on right or you will run hot again. Also might wanna have the heads checked by a machine shop to verify no other problems.
Old 06-17-2006, 01:18 AM
rookie89

thanx for the input but should any of my water jacket holes be covered by gasket? or should i cut the holes out?
Old 06-17-2006, 01:30 AM
randy78045
6th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: rookie89

thanx for the input but should any of my water jacket holes be covered by gasket? or should i cut the holes out?
Nooooo... buy the right gaskets...