5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

94 mustang how long & how to make howl?

Search this Thread

Old 06-17-2006, 12:53 PM
1911A1
1st Gear Member

Default 94 mustang how long & how to make howl?

I bought a 94 mustang gt convertable with a 5.0 H.O 5spd, and chrome cobra R rims from my dad. He took care of it, did not abuse it, and garage kept it therefore the body is in excelent shape and it looks good. There is typical wear on the seats and other areas as he used it for a daily driver. It has 98,000 miles on it. I need some opions if I should bother modfying it since it is older and has 98k miles on it. My question is how long does a mustang typically last before it needs major repair such as motor or transmission/drive train rebuild? I heard they last for 200k. I would really like to put exhaust on it but dont know if I should just wait until this car dies and then do it to my next one?

I love the deep low howl that some modifyed mustangs make. Is it possible to get this without spending the big money for a turbo or supercharger? I am thinking K&N air filter and new exhaust. I like the stock look that the pipes are the same width near the end. I would like the very loud mustang howl but it has to be street legal and not something that cannot pass inspection or get me pulled over for noise. I would like to do this as cheap as possible. I also would like to widen the visible 2 ft or so end to a wider better looking whole and have it chrome.
What kind of money am i looking at here? Do I need to get the motor adjusted for exhaust or is it just bolt on and drive?

Thanks in advance for any and all advice that you can give.
Old 06-17-2006, 03:15 PM
mostpreciousblood5.0

Default RE: 94 mustang how long & how to make howl?

about the exhaust, you can do pretty much any of those things. air intake and bigger tips help, look into a good set of mufflers, maybe flowmaster or borla, etc. another thing that makes the exhaust sound low and kinda rumble, is gettin a bigger throttle body. i got a buddy who has a 95 GT, he got a K&N intake kit, flowmaster mufflers, got 3 in pipes all the way back from the cat, and a dual 60mm throttle body, and its prolly the best soundin stang ive heard to tell you the truth. about makin the last 2 ft of yer pipes larger at the rear end of the car, by the tips, you can take it in to any exhaust place, and they got machines that stretch the pipe out to make it larger, or you can just buy the bigger pipes, cut off the stock pipes where you want, then weld the new pipe in. but its gonna be cheaper to just stretch the pipe ya got. be careful there though, cuz the more you stretch the pipes, the more likely you are to burn holes in them with the EGT. good luck and have fun
Old 06-17-2006, 03:23 PM
mostpreciousblood5.0

another thing you can do, which is actually kinda cheatin but still gives you the deep rumble sound, aint exactly emissions friendly, but its temporary, meanin all you gotta do if you need to take an emissions test is simply put a nut back on a bolt. if you look at the exhaust, just past the crossover pipe, on the back side, youll see a little connector flange on both pipes, just take the nuts off of the bolts, and itll loosen up the connection. its like temporarily deleting the mufflers. just dont get pulled over and dont go crazy with revvin yer engine in public. sounds great at the track though.
if you wanna go more permanent and legal, just go with the intake, TB and mufflers, and go for an H Pipe setup. and if you only open up the pipes at the tips by half an inch, itll sound worlds louder and deeper
Old 06-17-2006, 03:26 PM
mostpreciousblood5.0

and you can also cut out the cat, which will help with pushin the exhaust out faster, freein up a little bit of power. or if you live in a state with gay emissions rules like california, just get a high performance cat
Old 06-17-2006, 03:35 PM
94RoadRacerGT
2nd Gear Member

I have a 94 GT. I am just adding on bolt on stuff here and there. Stuff like Pully kit, Hpipe, Flowmasters, CAI, Plug wires Cap and rotor, MSD blaster coil, ect. I have about 130K on my baby. I am in the process of saving up to have my motor overhauled and bored out to 331 by a shop out here called Jim Grubbs Motorsports. It will be a complete rebuild and cost just about under 4k. But will be well worth it. Also Living in CA, it will give me about 340 hp at the flywheel and still be smog legal. Anything is possible it just costs $$$
Old 06-19-2006, 04:38 PM
1911A1
1st Gear Member

How much do these mods go for? How long do mustangs typically last miles wise? When I shift under normal driving I run it up to 2 2and a half rpms is that too high for good fuel mileage? Thanks for the help
Old 06-19-2006, 04:39 PM
88BlueGT
6th Gear Member

Put it this way; if you are going to wait until the motor "dies" until you mod it.... you will be waiting for a very long time.
Old 06-19-2006, 04:42 PM
r.barn
6th Gear Member

engine and drive train are good for 200k if well maintained.

avg mpg seems to be the 16-20 range depending on mods and how heavy your foot is.

Flowmaster series 40's will be nice a loud for you.

Head and cam upgrade later on will give you an extra 60-80hp