5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

Better to mod or buy a modded car?

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-2006, 10:24 PM
Synyster Racing
2nd Gear Member

Default RE: Better to mod or buy a modded car?

I've come to realize that no matter how much we sink into our cars, or how much it's value is to us. We will never get 1/3 of what we put into it. and that sucks...

Old 06-18-2006, 10:25 PM
Black Snake
5th Gear Member

Most of us who put that much money into a car dont want to sell.

I know somone would have to offer me a really high amount of money to buy my car.
Old 06-18-2006, 10:35 PM
monsterbishi

I have a personal rule to never buy someone elses modified car, 99% of the time the reasons why they sold it involve repairing and replacing parts or panels.
Old 06-18-2006, 10:46 PM
Synyster Racing
2nd Gear Member

That was my point!!!
Old 06-18-2006, 10:49 PM
91dsslx
1st Gear Member

when you mod your own car it is the greatest sense of accomplishment you can have. I have put countless amounts of money, time, and sweat in the stang I own. The first busted nuckle becomes a distant memory, but you know everything about "your" car. The first time you fire it up, you have a whole new respect for your car. Have your own project, not someone else's.
Old 06-18-2006, 11:13 PM
live4motocross11
4th Gear Member

do sn-95's have torque box's, and also one thing to think about is that a heavily modified car (unless it looks really good) has probaly been beaten on pretty good
Old 06-18-2006, 11:13 PM
Twisted
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: monsterbishi

I have a personal rule to never buy someone elses modified car, 99% of the time the reasons why they sold it involve repairing and replacing parts or panels.
Thanks for all the replies folks. That has always been my belief--that I would not want to buy a modded car. I've had vehicles where the problems piled up so bad, and I was stressing so much about them, it was easier to just sell the thing. When people list for sale a modded car with "20k invested" and say that they "must sell" the car, and are selling it for 6k, I feel like they just don't want to fix something--at least a lot of the time. I'd be scared to by a built car--too many unknowns. How do I know that some bad bearing clearance isn't gonna reveal itself in oil and shrapnel, six months down the line?

I understand what some of you mean about the pride and knowledge that comes from modding your own car. I would love do some work to mine, and have it feel like a whole new car--and a racecar at that. I just can't imagine where the money is gonna come from. I guess I'll weigh my options when I have the money to afford either. Thanks for helping me think this through.
Old 06-18-2006, 11:24 PM
Twisted
5th Gear Member

I just had an epiphony. If I can't afford to make my car faster, what are some good modifications to make it slower?
Old 06-18-2006, 11:51 PM
350kmileFord
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Twisted

I just had an epiphony. If I can't afford to make my car faster, what are some good modifications to make it slower?
pop the tired
remove the tires
take a dump in the gas tank
remove the windshield
fill it with rocks
take out multiple spark plugs
take an automatic weapon and/or sledgehammer to the block
put an apple in the intake
retard the timing
swap for a 4 cylinder
drive with the oil drain plug off
drive with the brake pedal depressed (spell?)
drive with the ac on
fill the car with playdough
put a brick under your gas pedal
crank the engine until the starter fries, buy a new starter and install, repeat multiple times, then drive

Anyway...when I finally buy a 5.0, I will not buy an already modified car. I won't buy one if it has so much as an aftermarket intake. If it has any mods it means that the people have gone fast in it, and that they've wanted to go faster, and then tryed to go faster. Means they abused it. I'd rather abuse the car myself, then have someone else do it >_<
Old 06-19-2006, 12:01 AM
TAPOUT
2nd Gear Member

Buying a modded car isn't bad if you can work on them. I bought mine two years ago for $4000, already with 331 stroker set up, and drove the **** out of it. I saved up a bunch of money, and built a real nice engine for it, and did all the upgrades I wanted when that set up stopped working for me. I spent about $8K for the mods that I have done, and there are still things I will be doing later. I was able to salvage an easy $5000 in great parts that were put in by the last guy between the heads, intake, trans, gears, radiator, etc. I have had nearly every part out of my car since I bought it, and now the car is mine.

Quick Reply: Better to mod or buy a modded car?