5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

Pulleys, bad volt problem?

Old 04-27-2004, 11:59 PM
94BlackGT
2nd Gear Member

Default Pulleys, bad volt problem?

I knew this was going to happen when installing the pulleys, but is it harmful for my volts to be going down to around 10-12 when the car is in drive and stopped. It seems to idle normal when in park, but sometimes also drops to 10-12, then picks back up when moving.

Harmful or normal?
Old 04-28-2004, 12:16 AM
Obsol3te
6th Gear Member

Default RE: Pulleys, bad volt problem?

dunno about that 10-12 thing
but if your car is running under 1k rpm's at idle then your Alt wont charge or something like that.

But prolly saying things you knew already
and im just relaying what ive heard people already say on these here forums
Old 04-28-2004, 12:38 AM
94BlackGT
2nd Gear Member

Its just odd every red light it drops down, then picks back up. I dont seem to have any problems at night with lights or anything so i dunno, can never really trust stock meters. Only thing with lights is at idle it will get a little low, you cant even tell they are dimmed until i hit the gas and it gets a tad bit brighter.

Im sure it is the system sucking out the volts but i tried turning the amp all the way down and still does the same. I guess turning the amp off would be the only way to know, because i dont think my "turn down" switch really works. Maybe ill try it sometimes. Just wanted to know if it was harmful because if not ill keep going.

I hope this isnt bad because i will get a big fat "i told you so" from the pops
Old 04-28-2004, 12:43 AM
VertStangGT86
4th Gear Member

Your car doesn't put out as much at idle (under 1000) in normal conditions, once you get above that it should just up to around 14 volts. It shouldn't be a problem as long as you don't just start it and let it idle over and over again. When you're driving it the battery will charge, plus when it's running your alternator is powering everything, not the battery.
Old 04-28-2004, 12:46 AM
94BlackGT
2nd Gear Member

Ya thats what i figured. It is recharging a lot more of the time then i spend sitting at stop lights so its really not dying all that bad i dont believe.

I already learned the hard way, first night of pulleys, Wendy's parking lot, brain freeze, system on, lights on, car...not starting because my genious had ran it dead...

Gotta love mysterious people rolling through parking lots at 12 at night with jumper cables.
Old 04-28-2004, 12:48 AM
WesDe
2nd Gear Member

Your volts will drop. The job of the underdrive pulleys is to slow down your accesories like water pump and alternator which will reduce drag and increase horsepower. What happens is that your alternator works a bit slower when at idle. Actually slower than usual, after you hit the gas the alternator increases speed and picks up voltage. I would avoid playing a loud stereo system at night with the lights on. That will draw too much power and you might stall at lights. Other than that you should be safe.
Old 04-28-2004, 12:50 AM
94BlackGT
2nd Gear Member

Ya that was exaclty what i thought. I figured stereo at day, lights at night. I know the lights arent using quite as much as stereo but i like my system.
Old 04-28-2004, 12:52 AM
WesDe
2nd Gear Member

You will be fine at night with the stereo just turn it down at the lights. I know this is when the girls look at you the most but you will look a lot worse if you stall.
Old 04-28-2004, 04:05 PM
Pitviper100
3rd Gear Member

well why dont you just leave the reg pully on for the altenator but change the rest it wont be a hudge diffrence and it will keep your alt running fine
Old 04-28-2004, 04:46 PM
VertStangGT86
4th Gear Member

People do that if they don't like the voltage drop. Or if you've got the money you can get a better, like 130amp, alternator. www.pa-performance.com has them for $130

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Pulleys, bad volt problem?