5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

Dealer stuck me - now I've got a squeal!

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-2006, 04:27 PM
xcr5

Default Dealer stuck me - now I've got a squeal!

Well had my wife 95 GT Vert into the dealer for fix a oil leak. First attempt they said it was the cam plug and rear main bearing seal. Fixed those two things gave us the car back and a day later I noticed I had the same exact oil leak plus my rocker panel trim on the pass side of car was partially popped off (noticed the rocker panel at the dealership before we took the car home). Well of course the dealership didn't do the rocker panel, but would take another look at the oil leak. The dealership couldn't get the car back in for a couple of days so we drove the car a bit. My wife noticed since the first attempt at repairing the oil leak the car was now more difficult to shift into first and reverse (I checked this out and it was more difficult). Mentioned the difficult shifting, but of course theres nothing the dealership did during the repair that would have caused this but they would look into it.

Second attempt at stopping the oil leak indicated the rear main bearing cap was leaking (didn't see this the first time). Fixed leak, rocker panel, car shifts slightly better into first but still very difficult to get into reverse. We've driven the car approx 200mi since the repair and no oil leak (Ya hoo) - however; I drove the car this weekend and noticed a high pitched squeal (similiar to a bad belt) when accelerating fairly aggresively or the car suspension is compressed quickly. Example in 1st, 2nd, 3rd and sometimes fourth if you gass it up aggressively it will squeel like a belt is slipping, then when driving down the road in any gear if the cars suspension is compressed harshly/quickly you can hear a similiar squeal but it's much quieter. I put the car in nuetral and reved the motor and no squeal, this has me thinking it's in the tranny/clutch somewhere? The dealership had to drop the tranny twice when attempting to fix the oil leak, also took the rear main bearing cap off to add a sealer to the area. I'm not very knowledgeable when it comes to automotive engines/tranny combos - anything the dealer did during the repair that may be related to this squeal? Anyone have an idea what it might be??? Oh yea - 5 spd manual tranny...

Thanks in advance...

XCR5
Old 06-19-2006, 04:32 PM
schwindty
4th Gear Member

Default RE: Dealer stuck me - now I've got a squeal!

Could be somthing not tight enough causing the squeek under torque or hitting bumps, thats in the hell is a rear main seal cap? Maybe I call it something different but from what I understand their is only a bearing and a 1 piece seal that holds the oil in. I hate dealerships they are all scam artists!
Old 06-19-2006, 04:37 PM
88BlueGT
6th Gear Member

I took my car to the dealership ONE time. When I first got it I had them do my weatherstripping around the doors and a few other small things. It took them TWO WEEKS!!! and when I got it back they had ripped my door panel, tore the armrest pad right off of the armrest itself and chipped a whole crapload of paint off of the door. I told a manger there about it and he came out w/ a first aid kit (for cars obviously) and told me that I could use it if I wanted to but they couldnt do anything about it because it was an old car and things like that happen all the time. I wanted to KILL that guy. I will NEVER go to a dealership again in my life...... EVER.
Old 06-19-2006, 04:40 PM
kwikstanglx
1st Gear Member

Ron Tirapelli Ford in Joliet,IL tried to charge me $770 for a tune up so I know what it's like to be treated like an idiot by a dealer. They put new plugs, wires, cap and rotor in and tightened one header bolt and told me the total for the work done was $770. I complained evough that they only charged for the parts and that is the last time I take my car to a dealer for anything.
Old 06-19-2006, 04:43 PM
xcr5

Yep - we all know it's hard to find a decent dealership. Anyone familiar with these types of repairs know if the repair attempts could have caused the squealing? Like I mentioned it's under load and sounds very similiar to a belt squealing but doesn't squeal if car is in neutral???
Old 06-19-2006, 04:48 PM
Grimace5.0
I ♥ Acer

rear main bearing cap was leaking
rear main seal cap?
I *think* he means rear main seal.

Like I mentioned it's under load and sounds very similiar to a belt squealing but doesn't squeal if car is in neutral???
It's the tires from all the mad 5oh powa!
Old 06-19-2006, 04:49 PM
Twisted
5th Gear Member

I've rarely taken a car or bike into a shop for work, and NOT had them f*ck something up. Drives me nuts.
Old 06-19-2006, 05:21 PM
88ragtop
3rd Gear Member

Unless your car is under warranty I wouldnt take my car to any dearship to work on it. In my experience you ask for nothing but trouble. They WILL charage you out the *** for everything they do or in some cases not do. And they dont even give you a free jar of KY Jelly.
Old 06-20-2006, 11:13 AM
xcr5

Can anyone actually give some insight to this???
Old 06-20-2006, 07:32 PM
gspfunk
5th Gear Member

Could be your pilot bearing or your throw out bearing. Either part is fairly inexpensive, but they will take your wife, your left nut, and your dog for labor. If you can drop the tranny yourself, it's pretty simple to do (assuming that's the problem).

Quick Reply: Dealer stuck me - now I've got a squeal!