5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

Wiring speakers - Now with pics!

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-2006, 01:16 AM
All4n
2nd Gear Member

Default Wiring speakers - Now with pics!

Does anybody have any info on how to wire speakers in an 89? The speakers have wires attatched to them but I need to get the wires attatched to the "harness" or whatever that connects to the radio. Thanks.
Old 06-20-2006, 01:23 AM
88 rubber eater
2nd Gear Member

Default RE: Wiring speakers

I rewired my whole cars speaker sytem with I think 12 gauge wire (pretty thick), its so much better than that stock crap. If you have aftermarket speakers it makes the difference at high volume levels. Stock wire is half a millimeter thick!!! lol. But if you want to reuse is just cut the little connector off and strip the wires back about 1/4-1/2 inch of so you have bare wires showing. Your car should be off, by the way. The connected the negative wire to the negative terminal on your speaker and the positive to the positve. Its best to solder the wire on, but i always just wrap it around good then cover it with electrical tape. good luck, and ask any other ?s you have.
Old 06-20-2006, 01:24 AM
88 rubber eater
2nd Gear Member

Oh wait, your not putting in new speakers are you, lol. My bad. You need the wires to hook up to the back of the radio? Is it an aftermarket radio? More info!
Old 06-20-2006, 01:28 AM
All4n
2nd Gear Member

Whats funny is the car came with aftermarket speakers and wires in it. The wires right now are just dangling around my pedals and passenger's side feet area. Where do I connect those wires to and how do I get to wherever I need to get to.
Old 06-20-2006, 01:29 AM
All4n
2nd Gear Member

For now I just wanna get the stock radio working, then worry about aftermarket CD player.
Old 06-20-2006, 01:31 AM
88 rubber eater
2nd Gear Member

Yeah the guy I bought it from left wires dangling down by the damn pedals too! lol. Well unless the wires are color coded, your in for a fun time. First off are they color coded. If not then I need to write a paragraph for you
Old 06-20-2006, 01:33 AM
All4n
2nd Gear Member

Colors are coded, don't worry about that.
Old 06-20-2006, 01:38 AM
88 rubber eater
2nd Gear Member

Phew! Then it should be pretty easy to do. Each speaker has its own different color wire to it right? Im just making sure we agree. lol
Old 06-20-2006, 01:39 AM
All4n
2nd Gear Member

BAHHHHHH, nope. I thought you were talking about positive and negative. No color codes, its monster speaker wire.
Old 06-20-2006, 01:50 AM
88 rubber eater
2nd Gear Member

Ok then at least your half way there lol. This is how I have done it in one of my car and 3 of my friends cars, and I havent found a better way yet. On the stereo you have in it, adjust the Fade AND Balance and make sound come out of just One speaker. since you know which are pos and which are neg your good, you need to have the ignition on to do it my way, just dont cross the pos and neg wires coming off of you deck. you might blow your fuse, which is downrigt annoying. But anyway back to the instructions. Have it adjusted so sound should only be coming out of your dirver side rear speaker for starters. Take the wires for that speaker and try connecting the pos and neg to a pos and neg on your deck. Do you kind of understand? This is the guess and check method. Im guessing that the guy you bought the car from had an aftermarket deck in that he took out and pt in the stock one when he sold the car, right?

Quick Reply: Wiring speakers - Now with pics!