5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

average paint job $$

Old 06-23-2006, 11:40 AM
88BlueGT
6th Gear Member

Default RE: average paint job $$

If you are not experienced w/ doing body work I wouldnt do it. Prepping makes the paint!
Old 06-23-2006, 11:48 AM
randy lang

This may sound crappy but I did this on one of my other cars..................I to went black. I do know how to do body work, so it was pretty cheap for me, but here is what I did. I did all the body work primer and prep....................went to the auto paint shop and picked up the sealer color and clear. cost about 150 buck for all........took car and paint, to a body shop and payed them 200 to shoot it. I did not have them do the jams, for the jams I sanded and sprayed them with spray paint out of a can. You could not tell the differance because black is black........you know what i meen?
Old 06-23-2006, 12:05 PM
CarJway
2nd Gear Member

Well on the Macco Subject. I have had two cars done there. First one came out great. Orange peel yes, but I see 50k dollar cars with orange peel on them too. No biggie, looked Excellent for 300 bucks.

Second time, I just got it done to sell the car. Sold the car and all the person had to do was pick it up from Macco. It had CRUCIAL runs in the paint. Five months later and the paint is falling off on front/back bumpers.

Now, My White Mustang needs to be ONE color. So I am going back to them. I am going to Prep the car my self. The only reason I see these paint jobs not being great, is due to the lack of Prepping. So, with that said, I will let you guys know how it turns out. Hope fully I will get it done within the next month.
Old 06-23-2006, 12:19 PM
88BlueGT
6th Gear Member

The paint is only about 20% of a good paint job.
Old 06-23-2006, 04:47 PM
Bad Karma
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: 88BlueGT

The paint is only about 20% of a good paint job.
I would agree, and even stretch that number to 13-15%. I grew up in a paint and body shop. My Dad retired as a serious paint and body man. He's had several HUNDRED cars featured in all kinds of magazines from Hot Rod to Lowrider Magazine to Chopper mags.

If there was one thing that I would echo from this thread and reinforce...is PREPARATION. I have seen cars and bikes that had House of Color (or other crazy expensive paint for that matter) sprayed on a car with foggy prepwork. They almost always came out like crap.

I've seen cars with less expensive paint (Sherwin Williams for instance) that had major prep work performed prior to paint.

Those were the ones that I will always remember as being the best that I ever saw.

Take time, do it right. There is almost nothing more disappointing than spending alot of cash that you worked hard for only to have your car come out less than spectacular.

Great luck to you,
Ivan

BTW-I have seen decent jobs from Maaco but again, it was a car that the owner did about 100 hours of prep work on himself before dropping off. And the car wasn't that bad at all to begin with.......
Old 06-23-2006, 04:50 PM
Bad Karma
3rd Gear Member

Oh also, it's knida like a Boob Job....sometimes that cheapest isn't always the best.

Shop around and ask to see some pictures of their work. Most good/reputable places have at least one photo album.

A nice place would have one for the basic colors that way a prospective customer would be able to see the different hues of, say, Blue or Red.

Again, Good luck to you,
-Ivan