5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

I think I am being hosed!!

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-2006, 12:23 PM
95hooptey
3rd Gear Member

Default I think I am being hosed!!

I have a 95 5.0L with an Auto. I bought it at a bargain becuase of this. So my first order of buisness was to get the tranny re-built or swapped. The transmission shop said that it needed a rebuild and could do it (convertor only for 800) or "we can do it RIGHT for 1600. So I wanted it right and paid the 1600..........well after several days of trying to convince my self it was right i finally realized it was doing the same thing! I took it back and they said they put a new valve body and an aftermarket repair kit?? Then it really started screwing up! The convertor would engage right before it shifted from 1 to 2 and it shifted EARLY!! so I would be going 20 MPH and it would be in 4th! It was constantly downshifting in order to get enough power to GOOOOOO........

After serious debate with the owner I told him it was the transmission and he said it was the computer on the car. I took it to two different shops and both said the computer was OK. I am not sure how much of the transmission the computer controls but I know it does not make a transmision do what mine is doing!

I am going to go in and blast the owner and drop the keys on the car in his lap! But i need some advice..............does anyone know if the computer on this car controls the entire transmission? If so what module or chip needs to be changed? Seems like these are questions they should be able to answer so as you can tell I feel I am getting the shaft!!!!

HELPPPPPPP!!!!![:'(]
Old 06-24-2006, 02:37 PM
PX429
5th Gear Member

Default RE: I think I am being hosed!!

What Kind Of Screwed Up Job Did That Shop Do?????
Old 06-24-2006, 02:59 PM
luckythirteen13
6th Gear Member

1600 dollarts???? thats almost enough to just buy a whole new trans from lentech.

and when ever a shop gives you a quote then says theyll fix it RIGHT for more, you walk away.
Old 06-24-2006, 03:00 PM
Stevens91gt
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: PX429

What Kind Of Screwed Up Job Did That Shop Do?????
+79
Old 06-24-2006, 03:03 PM
94RoadRacerGT
2nd Gear Member

Yeah I think for that price you could have swapped out for a 5 spd. I got a rebuilt tranny, for only 750.00. It was already a 5 speed but I think that for the difference it wouldnt be more than anther 750.00 for the rest of the parts.
Old 06-24-2006, 03:07 PM
FoxRod
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: luckythirteen13

1600 dollarts???? thats almost enough to just buy a whole new trans from lentech.

and when ever a shop gives you a quote then says theyll fix it RIGHT for more, you walk away.

For real. For 1600 you could have just bought a brand NEW tranny straight up. Then just put it in yourself or paid someone like few hundred to throw it up in there. Then had your original re-built in your leasure and had two trannys.

And like Lucky13 said, if they say we can fix it this way or we can fix it the "right" way, I would just turn to them and say, "So you take peoples money to half-*** fix things. Thanks but no thanks." When at the door, turn look at them and say, "Good luck in f*cking peoples cars up for money." (Smiling)
Old 06-24-2006, 03:09 PM
FoxRod
4th Gear Member

Also to the original question, the computer does control the tranny, it controls shift points and convertor engagement. But it actually shifts off of vaccum I think.
Old 06-24-2006, 03:16 PM
marx91
3rd Gear Member

what was the name of that shop? "wescrewyou", i've never heard any shop say
**** like that, you def. got hosed, you should have posted that before you actually
let them do the work, always check in here/or what ever sites you frequent when your not sure
about something
oh yeah and its a trans modulator valve that you were asking about, they cost like $30
if i'm not mistaking
Old 06-24-2006, 05:28 PM
95hooptey
3rd Gear Member

Thanks guys........your ALL RIGHT! I did get a hosing. I had just bought the car and had an itch to get it done so I could start working on the engine. I guess my hastiness got me a royal F*******.

By the way he is putting in a whole new trans after I spoke to him yesterday but hell I saw some in a few mags that are brand new with heavy duty clutches etc......for 1900.00
Well now that I found this forum I am definatley checking with you guys before I make another dumb move like that!

Trans modulator valve??? He shoud know this right? At the "wescrewyou"..................
Old 06-25-2006, 03:05 PM
PX429
5th Gear Member

Wait your spending another 1900 at the same shop????????????

NOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!! That would be a total of $3500 for a new tranny! they didn't fix the problem the first time. they have to fix it for free the second time. if not sue the basterds

Quick Reply: I think I am being hosed!!