5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

Heres the story on the new engine. Help

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-2006, 07:38 PM
RawGtPower
3rd Gear Member

Default Heres the story on the new engine. Help

Well i just got my car back from the shop with my new engine. It stalls every once in a while and has a weird idle. It doesnt seem like the power is all there, but i havnt got on it yet. I know that its going to take a bit for my computer to adjust better to my cam, but is this normal for a new engine with these parts. Any help would be great.
Old 06-26-2006, 07:40 PM
tl86gt
4th Gear Member

Default RE: Heres the story on the new engine. Help

you might want to have some shop tune it.... alot of times the computer doesnt like to adjust on its own
Old 06-26-2006, 10:30 PM
RawGtPower
3rd Gear Member

anyone else get this problem with a new engine installed
Old 06-26-2006, 10:36 PM
91dsslx
1st Gear Member

I had many problems at first, now I have a few problems. It's that wonderful thing called owning a mustang. Just set your timming and fuel pressure at base. Start asking questions after each time you drive it, and someone will have a answer. That is what i did.
Old 06-26-2006, 10:39 PM
silver91gt
5th Gear Member

when I did my engine, it studdered for the first couple of days, I had to floor it so it would run right, but after 1 or 2 days the computer will adjust.

if that doesnt work, you may have to disconnect the battery + for an hour to "reset" the computer. they may have not done this.
Old 06-26-2006, 10:44 PM
foxontheprowl
2nd Gear Member

I have the same problem, I've had the new engine in for a couple of months now and it still stalls every once in a while, not nearly as much as it did at first though. the computer will adjust to it, just maybe not all the way, mine's definately driveable. getting a tune and a chip burned would be great but that can cost mad $$$ and I already maxed my credit card gettin the new engine on the road. as for the idle, a rougher idle is expected depending on the cam you have.
Old 06-26-2006, 10:45 PM
RawGtPower
3rd Gear Member

thanks guys... i was a little worried. After a couple of hours and a few starts, the bad idle is starting to even out. And the stalling is not happenign much anymore
Old 06-26-2006, 10:50 PM
silver91gt
5th Gear Member

it will actually make more power after driving it for a while.
Old 06-26-2006, 11:02 PM
RawGtPower
3rd Gear Member

yeah, because i noticed that it kinda boggs out. but like i said... i never really got on it. I want to break it in first
Old 06-26-2006, 11:29 PM
OJMiles
3rd Gear Member

ok, here's what i've done in the past with other cars... always seemed to work.

take off the negative battery terminal for 30 minutes. reconnect and start it up. Let it run at idle for 10 minutes. Then rev it a little for a few minutes... like, take it halfway up, let it come down to idle on its own. then, rev it high a couple times, and let it come down to idle on its own. Then, take it out for a spin. Baby it a little, and get a little more on it every time and open it up. I'm not saying bounce it off of redline for a few minutes straight when you're doing this stuff, but your computer is never going to get a Wide Open Throttle setting unless you run it at wide open throttle.

Quick Reply: Heres the story on the new engine. Help