5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

Need to Kill Switch my cars

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-2006, 09:41 PM
gr84u
3rd Gear Member

Default Need to Kill Switch my cars

Now that I have two mustangs, and know a lot about them, especially have invested much in my GT, I want to make it hard to steal. One way is installing a killswitch and I was wonding who has one, and if so what should I do, and how. Should i do fuel pump, ignition, what? Be great, something I want to get done soon.
Old 06-29-2006, 10:39 PM
91LXStang2727
2nd Gear Member

Default RE: Need to Kill Switch my cars

Mine has a killswitch but i bought it like that so i dont really have any info...srry
Old 06-29-2006, 10:42 PM
silver91gt
5th Gear Member

splice into the fuel pump relay ground wire to a switch.
if you have an ignition box the instructions tell you how to wire it to the box
Old 06-29-2006, 11:02 PM
gr84u
3rd Gear Member

Where is hte fuel pump relay ground, is it easy to find or trace it from the fuel pump? How would I go about routing that ground wire to the interior, and would I just ground it right where the switch is instead? Any clue where I would locate the spot I would splice in the switch? Where would you personally put it. I am planning to put one in each car, what kind of switch do you guys recommends? Amp Ratings that is.
Old 06-29-2006, 11:13 PM
Bad Karma
3rd Gear Member

Man, I love these kill switch ideas!!

I was working for a dealership recently and I can tell you, this city is probably THE BEST for creativity when it comes to kill switches. Us being close to the border, we see a lot of stolen cars and trucks. Just last week, my brother (a cop) told me that there were 17 cars/trucks stolen from my ZIP code. I live in the GOOD part of town he tells me.

Anyhow, I would tap into something different. Theives know where to look for the typical kill switch. What I was getting at earlier was that there are literally hundreds of customers that come in and say "hey, I need to show you something really quick" which leads to them showing me some crazy way to start thier rig. I've seen where they tap into the headlights and make it to where the lights have to be clicked into high beam twice before having power restored to the ignition, I've seen where the cigarette lighter had to be installed before it could start.

Get creative and make it happen. I would do it.

Good luck,
Ivan
Old 06-29-2006, 11:21 PM
silver91gt
5th Gear Member

^^^ good thinking^^^
creativity will defeat the theives.
Old 06-29-2006, 11:45 PM
Twister
5th Gear Member

I put a 1960's Ford floor dimmer switch on my 86....
Old 06-30-2006, 12:54 AM
FiveLiterRiceEater
5th Gear Member

i wired up a toggle switch under the seat of my regal to kill voltage going to the ignition switch. unfortunatly, someone still tried to steal the car
Old 06-30-2006, 01:01 AM
Boss_Hotrod
5th Gear Member

The idea about the cigarette lighter is awsome. Kinda like having two keys. Id say if you had to hide one somewhere Id say find a good spot under teh center console.
Old 06-30-2006, 01:17 AM
YNotch?
1st Gear Member

A buddy of mine has a vintage Ford Diesel Truck, He has a extra fuel tank switcher hooked to hidden toggle switch. It cutts off the fuel to the truck, and divertes to the ground,....so,...If someone tries to steal the truck, it will only run for a short distance with the fuel that is in the line, and there will be a fresh trail of Diesel Fuel to follow and find the truck. Pretty Sweet!

Probablly wouldn't do that with a Gas motor,... you could find it with a Match,..

I need a Kill switch in my Mustang, I have one in my Truck, that reminds me, I need to go hit it,.

Later,
Darrin

Quick Reply: Need to Kill Switch my cars