5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

Coolant/TB bypass

Search this Thread

Old 06-30-2006, 08:56 PM
SpooledupRacing
2nd Gear Member

Default Coolant/TB bypass

Hey I am curious if I bypass the coolant from through the throttle body and remove the EGR valve cant I just remove the spacer between the throttle body and the intake? if so should I or should I not?

also have any of u done the coolant bypass, and do any of u have any pros or cons of doing this?

I wont be driving it in the winter so it wont be a warm up issue..

Dave
Old 06-30-2006, 09:20 PM
schwindty
4th Gear Member

Default RE: Coolant/TB bypass

I did it, but kept the spacer in tack due to the throttle cable being hooked up to it, you can buy a bracket from somewhere ( NO IDEA) that enables the cable to hook up after the spacer is removed. I had no issues what so ever doing the bypass and totally removed all EGR Related components.
Old 06-30-2006, 09:30 PM
SpooledupRacing
2nd Gear Member

looks like I will so that here soon then...

how did u do the bypass? I was just gonna remove the two hoses (one on each side of the spacer) and put a union between the two and route them into eachother..

as for the egr valve removal.. did u remove and block off the egr or just disconnect it?

if u used a block off plate where did u get it if u made it can u make me one?

Dave
Old 06-30-2006, 09:41 PM
schwindty
4th Gear Member

For the bypass I just shortened the hoses by a few inches found a copper pipe that fit into each end and clamped them together then hide the hose with the ones going to the heater core (THink I used black plastic zip ties to connect them). As for the EGR I took the whole system out capped off the vacums lines, bought a fake sensor that plugs into the wires on the EGR (fakes the EGR to think that its working still, Bought t off ebay for CHEAP) hide the wires by the firewall, made a plate out of scrap steel I had laying around, I would make you one but I am out of acetalyne you can buy them off ebay yet again for cheap.
Old 06-30-2006, 09:41 PM
schwindty
4th Gear Member

I would take a oic but the engine I did that to is in alot of peices right now.
Old 06-30-2006, 11:18 PM
SpooledupRacing
2nd Gear Member

cool I think I will bypass the tb coolant wise prolly once I get the new ford racing radiator hose kit

Dave
Old 07-01-2006, 01:14 AM
TENGRAM
2nd Gear Member

your intake will be much hotter with the coolant line disconnected from the throttlebody. hot egr gasses flow through your intake manifold even with your egr stuff removed (unless you block it off at the port in the lower intake) and without the coolant to cool it down it will be very hot. just my .02
Old 07-01-2006, 02:48 AM
5.0stanger
6th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: TENGRAM

your intake will be much hotter with the coolant line disconnected from the throttlebody. hot egr gasses flow through your intake manifold even with your egr stuff removed (unless you block it off at the port in the lower intake) and without the coolant to cool it down it will be very hot. just my .02

That is very true, but the coolant doesn't cool the intake just the spacer. I removed all my egr and smod stuff, but kept the coolant hoses and spacer(whynot) and the other day I was messing with my main harness plug and noticed that the clip that hold it to the intake was kind of burnt cus the intake gets so much warmer(hotter with the egr gone then with it there). Honesly I would consider putting my egr back on if I didn't already remove the vacume selinoids and crap, also have to buy a new egr.....there is no gains to remove the egr anyway, just more headaches. I wouldn't even bother...JMO
Old 07-01-2006, 02:51 AM
5.0stanger
6th Gear Member

Instead of bypassing your egr coolant and since you don't drive in the winter, just remove the heater hose piping from the lower intake and take the CTS from the tube and put it in the intake. It will clean up your engine bay even more.
EDIT: You will also have to plug the back hole for the egr coolant in the intake with a 3/8 pipe tap plug.
Old 07-01-2006, 09:45 AM
SpooledupRacing
2nd Gear Member

what is a CTS

Quick Reply: Coolant/TB bypass