5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

So I installed a new AOD today, and now the car wont crank/turn over

Search this Thread

Old 07-02-2006, 12:47 AM
OJMiles
3rd Gear Member

Default RE: So I installed a new AOD today, and now the car wont crank/turn over

No, i didnt think to sit the tc's side by side... the car is at my cousins so im not sure if I can rotate the driveshaft right now... i quit hours ago, heh..

--ojm
Old 07-02-2006, 12:52 AM
PRO50SC
The Rogue Mod

Default RE: So I installed a new AOD today, and now the car wont crank/turn over

ORIGINAL: OJMiles

No, i didnt think to sit the tc's side by side... the car is at my cousins so im not sure if I can rotate the driveshaft right now... i quit hours ago, heh..

--ojm
Well if you can rotate it, that tells you the problem is in the front of the trans. If you can't, then it's the trans itself. Maybe you casn go to a trans shop, tell them what you did and they should be able to tell you if the t/c is the problem. I'd be willing to bet it is.
Old 07-02-2006, 01:00 AM
FiveLiterRiceEater
5th Gear Member

sounds like the trans may have a bent input shaft.
Old 07-02-2006, 01:07 AM
P Zero
5th Gear Member

Torque convertor isnt seated all the way. Needs to click 3 times.
-P.
Old 07-02-2006, 10:35 AM
OJMiles
3rd Gear Member

how am I supposed to make sure the TC is completely seated? It was very difficult to get the trans into place as it was (weight of transmission and angle that it seemed to have to be put in at). Any tips would be appreciated before I get into tackling this again...
Old 07-02-2006, 10:41 AM
PRO50SC
The Rogue Mod

When you bolted the tranny in, how much space was there between the flex plate and the t/c? Usually, when the t/c is seated in the tranny, after install you have to slide the t/c forward to mate it to the flex plate. Anywhere between 1/4 -1/2" depending on application. You should be able to unbolt the t/c from the flexplate and spin it. If you can't, get to disassembling.
Old 07-02-2006, 11:26 AM
OJMiles
3rd Gear Member

I couldnt seem to get the TC to slide forward or back once it was installed on the shaft... First we tried installing the TC to the flexplate first then mating up the tranny, that wasnt going to work, so we decided to install it on the transmission and then get it into place and hook it to the flex plate. Either way it wasnt easy.
Old 07-02-2006, 11:35 AM
PRO50SC
The Rogue Mod

That has to be the problem.

Also, when you installed the t/c in the trans, as you were pushing it on the input shaft, you should have felt it "click" as it seated all the way down. Once on, did you rotate it at all on the shaft?
Old 07-02-2006, 11:43 AM
OJMiles
3rd Gear Member

I found this on a site that talks about installing an AOD into an older mustang, but it still applies

"Raise the AOD into position. Keep a close eye on the torque converter because it can slide forward and out of the front pump rotor. If the torque converter will not turn when you mate the bellhousing to the engine, you need to lower the transmission and remate the converter and front pump. Remember that with an AOD, you’re marrying not only the converter and pump, but also the separate, inner overdrive shaft. "

Was taken from: http://www.mustangmonthly.com/howto/33598/

I just hope I didnt fark anything up... that would SUCK...
Old 07-02-2006, 11:44 AM
PRO50SC
The Rogue Mod

ORIGINAL: PRO50SC

That has to be the problem.

Also, when you installed the t/c in the trans, as you were pushing it on the input shaft, you should have felt it "click" as it seated all the way down. Once on, did you rotate it at all on the shaft?
You may as well satrt the removal. Obviously something is binding. It's the only way you'll find out.

Quick Reply: So I installed a new AOD today, and now the car wont crank/turn over