5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

So I installed a new AOD today, and now the car wont crank/turn over

Old 07-02-2006, 11:45 AM
OJMiles
3rd Gear Member

Default RE: So I installed a new AOD today, and now the car wont crank/turn over

I dont remember wether we did, or didnt... My cousin is the one heading this up and he's the one that has experience with this, plus he's owned about 5 or 6 foxbodies...
Old 07-02-2006, 11:46 AM
PRO50SC
The Rogue Mod

Default RE: So I installed a new AOD today, and now the car wont crank/turn over

ORIGINAL: OJMiles

I dont remember wether we did, or didnt... My cousin is the one heading this up and he's the one that has experience with this, plus he's owned about 5 or 6 foxbodies...
Guess not enough in this case, sorry bro.
Old 07-02-2006, 12:16 PM
black88
1st Gear Member

well i hate to tell you this but advance kind of srcewed you. the torque converter for an aod and an aod-e are different. they are not interchangeable. there is a good chance you screwed up the front pump on the trans. you need to take it out and have it checked then go to advance and make them pay for the repairs. 93 mustangs didnt even get the aod-e so i dont know why they told you that. thats the reason you dont go to a place like that to buy important parts. when you bought the trans you should have gotten a converter at the same time then you would have gotten the right one
Old 07-02-2006, 12:30 PM
OJMiles
3rd Gear Member

I've already said that I bought a TC for a 91 car with an AOD, not a car with an AODE. I bought a used transmission from Prestige Mustang parts, and i wasnt quite comfortable reusing the TC that came with it.
Old 07-02-2006, 12:43 PM
black88
1st Gear Member

sorry i miss read it i was in a hurry. but you still need to get the tranny checked out cause if you didnt get the converter in all the way you could have still screwed up the pump and the converter. but you also got a used tranny so that could be the problem also maybe you got a bad one.
Old 07-02-2006, 02:35 PM
hellas85stang
4th Gear Member

no diff in a aode and a aod od old except once is elect od and 1 is not all same inside n flywheel unless its goes from a 84 i think to a pre 84 then ounces are diff 1 is 50 oz newwer and 28 on older 302s...
Old 07-02-2006, 02:43 PM
angcobra
4th Gear Member

it is most likely the TC was not fully engaged into the trans. When this happens it push eveything back in the tranny and cause it to bind (thus not being able to turn.
The most critical check is the clearance between the TC and the flexplate when the tranny is fully bolted up. You should have 1/8 to 1/4 inch which will allow the TC to turn freely and slide up to the flex plate.
If you have not done so already, unbolt the TC from the flex plate and see if you can turn the TC.
Old 07-02-2006, 03:14 PM
OJMiles
3rd Gear Member

"no diff in a aode and a aod od old except once is elect od and 1 is not all same inside n flywheel unless its goes from a 84 i think to a pre 84 then ounces are diff 1 is 50 oz newwer and 28 on older 302s... "

engrish?
Old 07-04-2006, 03:15 PM
angcobra
4th Gear Member

Well, did you find out what the problem was?
Old 07-04-2006, 03:39 PM
OJMiles
3rd Gear Member

havent messed with it... kinda disgusted and been working days so only 2 hrs of light when i get off of work.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: So I installed a new AOD today, and now the car wont crank/turn over