5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

453 rwho, can my car handle it?? keith kraft block

Search this Thread

Old 07-03-2006, 01:50 AM
chinaman

Default 453 rwho, can my car handle it?? keith kraft block

Hey there, I am new here so sig and whatnot are not filled out, I basically just wanna get a topic goin.
I just bought this car its a 94 mustang gt this car is a blast to drive I just have questions on the ability to drive it every day and occasionally run it at the track. please help me identify some weak points thanks

balanced and blueprinted 331 built by keith kraft ---- no paperwork on the balanced and blue printed part---info on kieth kraft would be great
have a reciept for 'sublet part --keith kraft--2,350--I assume this is the short block, lifters etc were added later on down the reciept
on this same reciept is a total including sublet part keith kraft totalling 13,598 this includes only the engine, compentents, installation and rollbar, none of the other drive-train stuff. it was all performed by action turbos of englewood colorado (any info on them would be great too)

Basically I am concerned with the block, I know its hard not knowing anything else about the engine, i do have a bunch of other reciepts for stuff like heads, compucam kit, SVO intakes, headers, Roller Rockers, larger MAF, larger injectors,
It has a vortech s-trim super charger runnin 10 psi
car has been dynoed on Denver at 453 rwhp and 492 ft/lbs
I realize this is more than stock but not EXTREME I just would like to have a little assurance that a 5.0 block stroked to 331 with HOPEFULLY decent parts ( I have know idea on the internals other than that keith kraft--bolts ons are all stuff like svo parts) should last more than 2000 miles without needing a rebuild.

To give you further info:
steeda 8 qt oil pan
aluminum bellhousing
Tremec t-5 tranny (is this good or what?)
custom drive shaft
stock axles
aurburn posi
chromoly frame rails
pan-hard bar
anti axle wrap (connects from diff to like the ft subframe? I can see it just not explain it very well, looks very well built
25 gallon fuel cell
baer 13.5" ft brakes
suspension mods, lowered and stiffer
Griffin radiator
3.55 rear end
four point roll cage

So please help me id weak points, axles...bottom end etc. If any of you know of keith kraft and know his practices on block building and can vouch for his work to be able to handle it that would be helpful

I know it sounds like I know nothing, in fact I know a little but I am more of a carb truck engine kinda guy this stuff is WAY out of my league, thats why I turn to you. thanks

Also my supercharger seems to squeek, I know its supposed to whine, but it seems to be more of a lopy squeek at idle, is this kinda normal or should I check into the bearings

ThANKS A TON FOR READING
Old 07-03-2006, 02:13 AM
myshifter
I ♥ Acer

Default RE: 453 rwho, can my car handle it?? keith kraft block

Keith is fine, I wouldnt be overly worried about his workmanship. I would turn my attention to keeping the car tuned and avoid miss shifts. Rattle it a bit with a bad tune or miss a shift and bang it off the limiter is where you would have block problems. The late 5.0's crack, theres no two ways about it. It doesnt help that 99% of people external balance them and leave all that reciprocating weight on the crank snout and expect to make 500+ at the crank and think it's gonna live forever. if it splits it will split right down the lifter valley, nice and clean. The main girdles being marketed as something that improves block rigidity is a fallacy, all their good for is keeping the rotating assembly in place when the block splits. With that being said, keep a close eye on detonation, A/F ratio and learn how to read spark plugs. In this day and age of technology, spark plug reading has taken a backseat to gauges and stuff. What seems like a strong running car with no signs of detonation may not be the case. Give me a sparkplug and my magnifying glass and I bet I find signs of detonation on the plugs, that the untrained naked eye cant see. Worse case scenario, run it a little fat and dont miss shifts. Im done
Old 07-03-2006, 02:15 AM
FullAuto
5th Gear Member

Well, I didn't read all that crap, but I did skim through a little. A stock block should be able to handle that kind of power if the tune is on. But I think the power is a little low for a 10psi stroker. What H/C/I do you have? (It may have been in there somewhere but I didn't notice).
Old 07-03-2006, 02:17 AM
88BlueGT
6th Gear Member

^^ I was thinking the same thing. A simple h/c/i w/ that blower should easily produce that much power.
Old 07-03-2006, 02:44 AM
myshifter
I ♥ Acer

did anyone read "Denver" or am I reading into that too much?
Old 07-03-2006, 03:47 AM
WLingle92lx
3rd Gear Member

My Friend has a 88 GT with Stock bottom end, unported GT40X heads, GT40 Intake, E303 Cam, and a Paxton Novi 2000 running 12 psi and he made 496 RWHP with a 10.5 A/F
Old 07-04-2006, 03:05 AM
chinaman

ok well thanks for some or your guys' help
couple basic questions, what is H/C/I
how do I make sure my air/fule ratio is cool
and does anyone know a good shop in northen colorado that I can trust to tune everything properly?
thanks again
Old 07-04-2006, 03:37 AM
myshifter
I ♥ Acer

see I knew it hes in denver, and the air up there sucks, thats why it seems a little low, all the times we have run at bandimere the car is always off its game
Old 07-04-2006, 03:53 AM
B
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: chinaman

ok well thanks for some or your guys' help
couple basic questions, what is H/C/I
how do I make sure my air/fule ratio is cool
and does anyone know a good shop in northen colorado that I can trust to tune everything properly?
thanks again
heads
cam
intake...

lmao.. I just firgured it myself just awhile ago