5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

Need some serious help!!!

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-2004, 03:19 AM
mbliss

Default Need some serious help!!!

I have a 92 GT 5.0 5 speed, when it warms up or about 10 miles which ever comes first, the engine starts bucking and jerking really bad. Sometimes it will stall when idling. Seems to act worse when I press down on the gas. I have changed the fuel pump, fuel filter, map sensor, tfi module, plugs/wires, ignition coil and the coolant temp. sensor... Running out of ideas! And I don't want to get robbed at a shop! I know that it has to be something small... Any help or advise from here would be great.
Old 05-07-2004, 04:14 AM
Obsol3te
6th Gear Member

Default RE: Need some serious help!!!

Check your timing?
Old 05-07-2004, 11:33 AM
WNDSOR
2nd Gear Member

how about your O2 sensors? they tend to make the engine run rough when bad,might check fuel pressure before and after the regulator
Old 05-07-2004, 02:01 PM
LLADNAR
1st Gear Member

try having codes ran
Old 05-07-2004, 03:47 PM
roundman
5th Gear Member

how long has it been doing this? could you have gotten some bad gas with excess water in it? also check inside the distributor cap to see if moisture is getting in there and causing misfires. dry it out good with a clean rag if it is wet and see if this cures the problem.
Old 05-07-2004, 06:09 PM
mbliss

It has been doing this for a while, my first thought was bad gas also. I changed the cap and rotor, no mosture there. Codes first said map sensor. Now I'm getting code 67; neutral/drive switch open or a/c on. The a/c is not charged, can't be it though... Also no signs or sounds of a vacuum leak.

Obsol3te nice ride man.
Old 05-07-2004, 06:34 PM
LLADNAR
1st Gear Member

codes for nuetral safety and a/c are bs codes they don't mean anything,,your car is a 5 speed i asume because that is why the code for nuetral safety is there,,since you don't have an auto there is no switch and the computer sets a no light code for it,,and the a/c one you probably had the a/c switch on during the test so it says a/c out of self test range or something similar,,,wither way they don't mean crap and are nothing to worry about
Old 05-07-2004, 06:41 PM
mbliss

Cool, a mechanic said it's probably the temp. control module sending different readings to the computer. Only thing I could find is the ECT engine coolant temperature sensor?
Old 05-07-2004, 07:41 PM
LLADNAR
1st Gear Member

not sure what the hell he is talking about,,,but a bad coolant temp sensor can cause a few problems on its own and it does send a signal to the computer so it can calculate fuel trim and timing curve for how hot or cold the engine is so it is very possible that is your problem but the mechanic you talked to doesn't know the terminoligy
Old 05-09-2004, 10:40 PM
mbliss

Sounds like that could be it! Anyway to test it???

Quick Reply: Need some serious help!!!