5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

new to the game, help appreciated

Search this Thread

Old 07-03-2006, 03:01 PM
BascoSauce
2nd Gear Member

Default new to the game, help appreciated

hey guys, im goin to look at a 93 mustang hatchback GT on thursday and wanted a little bit of insight. He wants 4900 for it, its got new exhaust, new tires, 16 inch ponies, headers, and only has 72,000 miles. He says it needs a new hose for the A/C and the paint shows signs of fades in certain places. Ive been talking to one guy from 300zxclub, because i was recently intrested in one, until the 5.0 finally took me in, and now im addicted! He helped me find one on craiglist, and im meeting the guy thursday morning at our local hospital. anyways I tried searching but didnt really know the right keywords and looked at the TECH articles and didnt have any luck either. Anyways my question is that if there is anything particular i should look for when i see this stang. Im just wodnering about certain imperfections, stuff that are common problems in these cars, stuff like that. links are also very helpful, including links for noobs, because thats wat i am. any iformation is greatly appreciated. My AIM is jd4high4444 if thats easier for some people to communicate with me, im always on too since i have a sidekick 2. Thanks in advance and hope to see some results.
Old 07-03-2006, 03:06 PM
Bad Karma
3rd Gear Member

Default RE: new to the game, help appreciated

ORIGINAL: BascoSauce

hey guys, im goin to look at a 93 mustang hatchback GT on thursday and wanted a little bit of insight. He wants 4900 for it, its got new exhaust, new tires, 16 inch ponies, headers, and only has 72,000 miles. He says it needs a new hose for the A/C and the paint shows signs of fades in certain places. Ive been talking to one guy from 300zxclub, because i was recently intrested in one, until the 5.0 finally took me in, and now im addicted! He helped me find one on craiglist, and im meeting the guy thursday morning at our local hospital. anyways I tried searching but didnt really know the right keywords and looked at the TECH articles and didnt have any luck either. Anyways my question is that if there is anything particular i should look for when i see this stang. Im just wodnering about certain imperfections, stuff that are common problems in these cars, stuff like that. links are also very helpful, including links for noobs, because thats wat i am. any iformation is greatly appreciated. My AIM is jd4high4444 if thats easier for some people to communicate with me, im always on too since i have a sidekick 2. Thanks in advance and hope to see some results.
Welcome!

I would doa search on EBay for something similar. Add about 10% to the cars price that you find on EBay and that should be about where you're looking. If the car looks good to you and you think that the price is fair, go for it. The mileage is low so that is a plus. Look at any reciepts that he might have, service history, accidents, etc....ask him why he is selling the car. That might open up a Pandora's Box, you never know.

You can't go wrong with these cars really. They are so easy and economical to work on.

And all this coming from a GM guy!

Great luck to you and hope to see you and your ride here soon,
Ivan
Old 07-03-2006, 03:11 PM
randy78045
6th Gear Member

Welcome to the forums...
Old 07-03-2006, 03:17 PM
titanium92
2nd Gear Member

Welcome! You have made the right choice.... What to look for on these stangs wouldn't be any different than looking for any other car, the usual rust dents and dings obviously when running the engine make sure there is no ticking noise...we had a guy here bought a car from someone and sounds like the engine is shot. Make sure you check to see if the engine light comes on or not and if it does I would check codes. Other than that these cars are pretty solid and like Karma said easy to fix and modify. BTW mustangs up here in canada can go from 6000 to 10000 depends on shape and mods done to car.

Good luck!
Old 07-03-2006, 05:03 PM
WLingle92lx
3rd Gear Member

Welcome Also

Sounds like a good deal. Thats very low mileage, I would get it!
Old 07-03-2006, 06:58 PM
BascoSauce
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: titanium92

Welcome! You have made the right choice.... What to look for on these stangs wouldn't be any different than looking for any other car, the usual rust dents and dings obviously when running the engine make sure there is no ticking noise...we had a guy here bought a car from someone and sounds like the engine is shot. Make sure you check to see if the engine light comes on or not and if it does I would check codes. Other than that these cars are pretty solid and like Karma said easy to fix and modify. BTW mustangs up here in canada can go from 6000 to 10000 depends on shape and mods done to car.

Good luck!
Old 07-03-2006, 07:45 PM
BascoSauce
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: titanium92

Good luck!
Hey man thanks for the advice, this is more of wat I was looking for but the greetings have been great. I'm looking forward to putting a dent into this forum and becoming a successful member with a nice @ss ride!

Anyways, wat are the codes your talking about, can anyone fill me in?? And I'm going to look with my dad so hopefully watever I miss he'll pick up. But anything else to look at specifically?? AND DAMN! 6000-10000!!!!

..glad I don't live there

Oh and one more thing before I post, any general advice about driving this vehicle, or things to do to maintain it. This will be my first car so even the most obvious things/advice will most likely be new to me!

Thanks again guys, really appreciate it!!!
Old 07-03-2006, 07:57 PM
incognito207

ORIGINAL: BascoSauce

look for rust! i own a '89 notch and a '95 f.150, i loooove Fords but when they rust, good luck stoppin 'em. (or its just i live in Detroit and Michigan cars suck :-/)