5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

Polishing?

Search this Thread

Old 07-03-2006, 04:08 PM
Bad Karma
3rd Gear Member

Default RE: Polishing?

ORIGINAL: myshifter

ya it will come with different compunds for polishing fine metals, hard metals, brass and so forth. Home depot sells them individually. I dress one half of the wheel with the compund, you then cut the metal with that side, then use the other dry side for polishing it, take cotton cloth and wipe any excess off, will come out like a mirror
Sounds great...I didn't know that you could get into polishing that economically. I have a friend that does alot for me and he never charged me hardly anything. Now I know why.

You got any pics of stuff that you've done?? Like before and after?? To show what one could do with the products & methods you talked about?

Thanks,
Ivan

PS-You're proving to be helpful today. Be careful, your in danger of becoming a good man.
Old 07-03-2006, 04:15 PM
myshifter
I ♥ Acer

The one above is the machine surface from my lather before polishing

In the 3rd pic you can see me taking the picture.
Old 07-03-2006, 04:19 PM
Bad Karma
3rd Gear Member

Looks great!!!

I'm going to guess that you prolly sell shift ***** too right??

Hey, those are nice. That's what I'm talking about. ON average, about how much time would you spend polishing up one of those above items??

I know that every pioece may be different but do you spend like an hour or 45 minutes getting one to look like that or maybe less since it is such a soft metal??

Thanks for the rapid posts and pics. You are making me enjoy spending time on the computer today.

-Ivan
Old 07-03-2006, 04:21 PM
myshifter
I ♥ Acer

to polish one of those its 10 minutes max, aluminum is so soft the compunds cut it really easy. Ya I sell aluminum shift ***** to the custom/car show crowds. Boyd Cottington is using a few in some upcoming projects of his. Not sure if they will be on tv though. Just a litte side venture of mine.
Old 07-03-2006, 04:36 PM
Bad Karma
3rd Gear Member

no way!!

That's pretty cool dude. Hopefully you can get your name out there and make some cheddar!!

You got some more pics of your work??

Do you sell shifters for our cars (T5)? Talk to us here. If you haven't already!!

-Ivan
Old 07-03-2006, 04:49 PM
5.0stanger
6th Gear Member

Not to rip on ya about the polishing, but a little 1000 grit and stone oil will go a long way to get those cutter marks out.....Anyway, credit to ya on the polishing...it is a dirty job that I don't look forward to.
Old 07-03-2006, 04:52 PM
Bad Karma
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: 5.0stanger

Not to rip on ya about the polishing, but a little 1000 grit and stone oil will go a long way to get those cutter marks out.....Anyway, credit to ya on the polishing...it is a dirty job that I don't look forward to.
"Next on Dirty Jobs....

Steve takes us inside the world of Aluminum Polishing."

hehehehe!!

-Ivan
Old 07-03-2006, 04:56 PM
myshifter
I ♥ Acer

ORIGINAL: 5.0stanger

those were left in per client requests
Old 07-03-2006, 04:58 PM
myshifter
I ♥ Acer

ORIGINAL: Bad Karma

no way!!

That's pretty cool dude. Hopefully you can get your name out there and make some cheddar!!

You got some more pics of your work??

Do you sell shifters for our cars (T5)? Talk to us here. If you haven't already!!

-Ivan
I make all kinds but have been slapped on the wrist cause I dont buy advertising. I was told if I buy advertising I can ***** my products all I want, classic. As if I dont bring enough real world knowledge with me on this site. Oh well.
Old 07-03-2006, 05:06 PM
Bad Karma
3rd Gear Member

send me an email sometime if you could...maybe we could talk offline as not to offend anyone.

candiprice@msn.com

Sorry for the candi..it's my wife's first initial "and" my first initial with our last name @ msn.com...

People ask if I like Candy alot...I like to be upfront.

-Ivan

Quick Reply: Polishing?