5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

what should i look at when looking for foxbodies

Search this Thread

Old 07-04-2006, 04:22 AM
racer02GTstang
5th Gear Member

Default what should i look at when looking for foxbodies

ive been looking into getting a foxbody project going on and i dont know what to really look for... how many miles are these motors good up to? what is the most power the 5.0 can take till you need new internals? what years are the best to look into? ive been looking into getting a lx because i know they are lighter... also.. how hard is it to swap the 2.3 with the 5.0? is it a very hard swap or can i do it in a day or so? what all would be needed for it? thanks for all the help!
Old 07-04-2006, 04:32 AM
joshafmil
4th Gear Member

Default RE: what should i look at when looking for foxbodies

dont get the 2.3. the 5.0 comes with everything you already need on it. so if you want to buy a new engine later it wont be a big deal. if you put a 5.0 in the 2.3 you would need to mess with your tranny, your computer, your suspension would need work (considering the 5.0 is more weight)

they may seem the same but their are alot of differences. i would just get the 5.0 and not have to deal with the pain of swaping. if you want to swap a better v8 in later, alot of the car would be already setup to take the power, depending on how much more powerful of an engine you get

year wise? it depends... the later models are a little more computerized. also the 87-89? i think all have forged internals. (dont take my word on that)
Old 07-04-2006, 04:36 AM
DR8907
3rd Gear Member

if its going to be a track car or really heavy mods a 4-cyl is great to start with
Old 07-04-2006, 04:42 AM
88BlueGT
6th Gear Member

The 93 5.0's did not have forged pistons in them. Your best bet would be to look for a 89-92 since they have mass air. The a mass air conversion is not that hard but its better to just already have it than to deal with doing the swap yourself and spending money. Also, the 5.0's did not come with tilt from 89-93 (Im almost positive).

You will need to worry about the block before you need to worry about the internals. Personally, the MOST I would ever take a 5.0 block up to is around 500rwhp with a nice, safe, reliable tune. The block will go before the internals will.

Also, I have seen well taken care of 5.0's reach way past 140K.... even 160-180K with no problems. It all really depends on how well it was taken care of.

If you plan on keeping the 5.0 in there than I would just get a 5.0 and be done with it BUT if you plan on dropping a 351W or something else in there and you find a nice 4 banger it would probably be worth it considering everything would be swaped out anyway.
Old 07-04-2006, 05:13 AM
joshafmil
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: 88BlueGT

The 93 5.0's did not have forged pistons in them. Your best bet would be to look for a 89-92 since they have mass air. The a mass air conversion is not that hard but its better to just already have it than to deal with doing the swap yourself and spending money. Also, the 5.0's did not come with tilt from 89-93 (Im almost positive).

You will need to worry about the block before you need to worry about the internals. Personally, the MOST I would ever take a 5.0 block up to is around 500rwhp with a nice, safe, reliable tune. The block will go before the internals will.

Also, I have seen well taken care of 5.0's reach way past 140K.... even 160-180K with no problems. It all really depends on how well it was taken care of.

If you plan on keeping the 5.0 in there than I would just get a 5.0 and be done with it BUT if you plan on dropping a 351W or something else in there and you find a nice 4 banger it would probably be worth it considering everything would be swaped out anyway.
not everything would need to be swapped out... a 351 would be better placed into a 5.0 considering alot of the 302 parts can be used on a 351... if you want to make the project a progressive one, and not have the car out of order for a long time. then you can use alot of the old 302 parts to help.

granted you wont be able to pound on the thing. but if you need to get it from point a to b for some work... itll be possible
Old 07-04-2006, 11:55 AM
racer02GTstang
5th Gear Member

i didnt know they had forged internals, thats kinda intresting.. haha. i do plan on swapping out the motor eventually with a better motor... but i also planned to just throw some nitrous on there and run it like that for awhile... or get a 347 stroker with a 200 shot.. its going to be mostly a track car but i want fuel injection with it....
Old 07-04-2006, 01:28 PM
ACE
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: joshafmil

ORIGINAL: 88BlueGT

not everything would need to be swapped out... a 351 would be better placed into a 5.0 considering alot of the 302 parts can be used on a 351... if you want to make the project a progressive one, and not have the car out of order for a long time. then you can use alot of the old 302 parts to help.

granted you wont be able to pound on the thing. but if you need to get it from point a to b for some work... itll be possible
see thats the thing though, windsors accesories like alt. and ps pump are different then 302s by the way they align to the block and pulleys and such. And you would need to replace the tranny anyways if you went windsor so a 2.3 car would be fine to do this with and the suspension on a 2.3 is actually better then that on a 5.0 because the springs are stiffer. It was in the Junkyard DIY thread a while back
Old 07-04-2006, 01:52 PM
nick_thames
3rd Gear Member

I would get an old 4 cyl. Just like somebody said before the 4cyl springs are better for drag racing than the 5.0's. I have bought two foxes (both 85's) for about 250-300 a piece. No motors or tranny of course. both had full interiors. Where are you from. If you are close to SC I can put u together with a guy that has like a mustang junkyard. Has more mustangs than a car lot! All you need from a 4 cyl. is the rear end, tranny, motor, and motormounts. Then get your regulars like an MSD and you can be running cheap!
Old 07-04-2006, 02:06 PM
88 rubber eater
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: racer02GTstang

i didnt know they had forged internals, thats kinda intresting.. haha. i do plan on swapping out the motor eventually with a better motor... but i also planned to just throw some nitrous on there and run it like that for awhile... or get a 347 stroker with a 200 shot.. its going to be mostly a track car but i want fuel injection with it....
They dont have full forged internals. The pistons are forged, but the crank and rods are not. I just wanted to make sure you got the right info lol. And in 93 they switched to hyper. pistons, which shouldn't be used in a forced induction application.
Old 07-04-2006, 02:41 PM
OJMiles
3rd Gear Member

Check the underside of the floorpan for signs of rust-rot... i forgot to look at mine and theres a 4" long by 1" wide spot that needs to be patched over.. which isnt that big of a deal, but larger spots can be QUITE costly. Suprisingly, other than that 1 spot, the rest of my car looks like brand new on the underside... weird. I've been told Hyper. pistons are ok for S/C and T/C but not nitrous

Quick Reply: what should i look at when looking for foxbodies