5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

EEC IV Self test questions

Search this Thread

Old 07-03-2006, 11:40 PM
Dearborn5.0
2nd Gear Member

Default EEC IV Self test questions

I'm having difficulty doing the self test

87 5.0 HO, speed density.

All HO motors are SEFI right?

So I should be able to run the "Cylinder Balance Test"

Can you tell me how long you wait between different tests, like the 2 min timing check and the SEFI cylinder balance test?

I ran the car for like 20 min, turned the wheel and everything and I cannot get it to do the SEFI Balance test.

I think the eec tried to do the Timing check, bec the engine seemed to shutter, but not stall, like the computer was changing timing (timing check test), but when I got the light out in about a min, it was back at 20 BTDC (SPOUT in)

Can someone give me an idea how long each test takes?

(My STO is wonky, so I'm trying to work with it.)

(I'm using an innova Ford OBD1 Tester. It reads the codes and displays the numbers for you. It was 33 bucks via midway auto)

(anyone ever hear of a Throttle Adjust test? I have a document here....I allows you to adjust throttle or perhaps TPS while KOER test runs, after codes....It works on 3 code, newer 90+ eec's)
Old 07-04-2006, 02:26 AM
Dearborn5.0
2nd Gear Member

Default RE: EEC IV Self test questions

ttt
Old 07-04-2006, 04:39 PM
Dearborn5.0
2nd Gear Member

ttt
Old 07-04-2006, 06:13 PM
Joel5.0
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Dearborn5.0

I'm having difficulty doing the self test

87 5.0 HO, speed density.

All HO motors are SEFI right?

So I should be able to run the "Cylinder Balance Test"

Can you tell me how long you wait between different tests, like the 2 min timing check and the SEFI cylinder balance test?

I ran the car for like 20 min, turned the wheel and everything and I cannot get it to do the SEFI Balance test.

I think the eec tried to do the Timing check, bec the engine seemed to shutter, but not stall, like the computer was changing timing (timing check test), but when I got the light out in about a min, it was back at 20 BTDC (SPOUT in)

Can someone give me an idea how long each test takes?

(My STO is wonky, so I'm trying to work with it.)

(I'm using an innova Ford OBD1 Tester. It reads the codes and displays the numbers for you. It was 33 bucks via midway auto)

(anyone ever hear of a Throttle Adjust test? I have a document here....I allows you to adjust throttle or perhaps TPS while KOER test runs, after codes....It works on 3 code, newer 90+ eec's)
Check the procedures (KOEO/KOER/Cyl. Bal. Test)...Cyl. balance can take up to 4 minutes....and can be initialized 10 seconds after the KOER self-test is finished, raise rpms 600+ over idling for 3-4 seconds after last code is output, and the test should start.

Now....on the "Throttle Adjust test".....????...could you post the document?
Old 07-07-2006, 02:27 AM
Dearborn5.0
2nd Gear Member

"Throttle Plate adjustment mode"

"the throttle plate adjust mode allows checking and if necessary adjustment of the throttle hard set at the desired rpm

Note: the ignition timing should be checked and adjusted to specification prior to any adjustment of the throttle.

The operator can enter the throttle adjust mode any time during the 2 minute timing check by ungrounding and again grounding STI within a 4 sec lapsed time

Once the mode is entered, the preset engine conditions are allowed to stabilize for a calibrated peroid of time. To signal that this time has elapsed and throttle adjustment may proceed, a separator pulse is output on Self Test Output (STO) The mode set up logic can be exited by ungrounding the sti

Note: Applications that require low fan speed require low speed fan operation during this mode

The STO is also used as feedback to the operator during the adjust mode. if the idle speed is within the range, the STO will be "on" constantly, otherwise it will "flash" at a rate of 1Hz when below the range, or at a rate of 4Hz when above the range. If at any time during this mode the TP sensor goes out of range, the STO will flash at a rate of 8hz.

The adjustment mode ends when a calibrated peroid or a max of 10 min is reached. As long as the time peroid is less than the calibrated peroid, the mode can re-entered by undrounding the STI and again grounding STI within 4 sec"

Another note says this works on 3 code computers, so like a 90+ mustang
Old 07-07-2006, 11:16 AM
Joel5.0
5th Gear Member

I'll check all the documentation I have and let you know.....first time I read such a procedure...... Thanks!..BTW
Old 07-07-2006, 11:52 AM
Joel5.0
5th Gear Member

Found it......that procedure does not apply to EEC-IV systems, that's the procedure for Ford's EEC systems (Mazda ECM's)....Aspire, Festiva, Probe.......FYI..check the procedure explained for 626/MX6/Probe applications....