5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

Ticking sound...

Search this Thread

Old 07-03-2006, 11:49 PM
FordMustangXBA
4th Gear Member

Default Ticking sound...

So yeah...On top my my T-5 exploding while I was driving...My car had a fire a while ago and it had to be fixed. My whole wiring harness burned up because the fuse that was in there was too big and it smoked all of the electrics in my car. It took the tech 30 hours of labor to fix...and it was in the garage for 3 weeks.

As a result of this prolonged period of inactivity...I think the car dry-started when the new ignition switch was installed. I'm pretty sure it's a lifter tick...But I can only hear it when the engine bogs or when I'm accelerating hard...If I had a messed up lifter, shouldn't I be able to hear it all the time? I listened hard and couldn't hear it at all @ idle. My Bronco had the same problem...I dumped a quart of Lucas in it and it has stopped for good, even when beating the **** out of it, and she has 213k miles on her. My GT has 117k. Last oil change I used a quart of Lucas substituted for a quart of oil. WIth my Bronco the Lucas actually made the ticking louder, but after a few hours of running the engine it went away and has been gone for good.

I changed my oil a few weeks ago, but up until the tranny blew, my car was still making this noise. I think I have a small oil leak (I'm having them check the rear main seal while the tranny is out), or it's burning a little. This ticking noise is just driving me insane, because I'm obsessive about that kind of stuff.

Any recommendations? I was thinking about just trying one of those cheap *** Autozone remedies, because sometimes they work, believe it or not.

If this won't go away, what kind of project am I looking at? I know that the engine will run like this, but it will cause long-term damage, and I'm not in the mood to replace my block.

Also, my oil pressure guage is kind of funky. It sits at about the M-A while idling in neutral, and while driving it rises to the center of the guage...When I spin it up to about 4500 - 5000 though, it never goes above being in between the R and the O, so that's not too bad, I hope. I've heard this could be indicative of major engine problems...and I'd rather not have to deal with that of course.

Thanks.
Old 07-03-2006, 11:51 PM
Stevens91gt
5th Gear Member

Default RE: Ticking sound...

when i accelerated and had a ticking sound

i found out it was cracked header gaskets

easy fix..mine were all f'd up
Old 07-03-2006, 11:52 PM
FordMustangXBA
4th Gear Member

Thanks...I will definitely check them before I start freaking out about my engine being about ready to explode.
Old 07-03-2006, 11:53 PM
Stevens91gt
5th Gear Member

its only under acceleration right?

i could hear mine when accelerating and eventually when i was in drive [aod]

but in park, or neutral i couldnt hear it
Old 07-03-2006, 11:56 PM
FordMustangXBA
4th Gear Member

Yeah, only when I'm accelerating...Sometimes it's hard to hear unless I'm driving close to a wall or something...but that's probably because of the exhaust. Sometimes I try to trick myself into not hearing it, cause I don't want to, lol...but then I hear it.
Old 07-03-2006, 11:57 PM
sdmaker
3rd Gear Member

But I can only hear it when the engine bogs or when I'm accelerating hard..
do you know what detonation sounds like? cuz if it only does it when it bogs or under heavy acceleration, thats one thing it could be. whats your timing set at?
Old 07-03-2006, 11:59 PM
FordMustangXBA
4th Gear Member

No I don't know what it sounds like...And I'm also not sure about the timing. The car is not accessible at the moment, cause it's at the garage. I'm going to make a list of stuff you guys suggest to have my neighbor check while he has the car, it'll be alot easier that way.

What would cause detonation?

The only thing that leads me toward a dry start is the fact that the car sat for a few weeks without being started.
Old 07-04-2006, 12:00 AM
sdmaker
3rd Gear Member

timing being advanced to far, but if you hear it louder next to a wall, then it could very well be an exhaust leak also.
Old 07-04-2006, 12:02 AM
Stevens91gt
5th Gear Member

mine got louder as well..when i past by a wall or another car, etc

it sounded like when you take a stick and run it through a fence

or a baseball card on a bike tire..like the lil kids do
Old 07-04-2006, 12:03 AM
FordMustangXBA
4th Gear Member

Yeah that's pretty much exactly what it sounds like...The sound from the Bronco was alot more metallic. Thanks guys, I will definitely have them check that.

Quick Reply: Ticking sound...