5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

Computer Upgrade or tuning

Search this Thread

Old 07-04-2006, 06:08 AM
IBA86Stang

Default Computer Upgrade or tuning

So I have an 86 mustang modified extensivley. It has a 347 stroker, supercharged, aluminum heads, trick flow intake, msd ignition and many more fun little things. My question is what should i do about the computer. I doubt it the stock computer is giving me the most out of my upgrades. I have a computer chip but it isn't custom or anything like that. So should i have a custom chip made, a custom computer made, or get this neat little computer thing from summit where you can basically tune your 5.0 to your likings. Only problem with the summit one is it's about $1500.00, but it might be worth it. Any suggestions? Plus if anyone suggest a custom chip or computer where do i get one of these, and what's the pricing for it? I really think my car needs to be tuned and it'd be awesome if anyone has some suggestions. Thanks
Old 07-04-2006, 09:59 AM
88ragtop
3rd Gear Member

Default RE: Computer Upgrade or tuning

I would contact Anderson Ford Motorsports. I believe they have the hand held tuners that piggy backs on your stock computer.
Old 07-04-2006, 11:16 AM
gh0stang

86stang...
please post an update and share your findings on this.I've been looking to do something similar and was wondering the same thing.
I have not come across as much information on this that I was hoping for.
Old 07-04-2006, 01:12 PM
Joel5.0
5th Gear Member

There are plenty of options (and cheaper) out there that will allow tuning flexibility as needed....check:

Anderson's PMS
Tweecer (basic and R/T)
ShiftMaster's EEC-Tuner

among others.....
Old 07-12-2006, 10:04 PM
IBA86Stang

So I haven't checked anything out yet, i;ve been way busy. But I'm also wondering if tuning the computer will show much difference??? The car runs quite nicely a few hiccups here and there, but will i notice much improvements? And thanks for the help so far. I had no clue where to look for things. So thanks for the help.
Old 07-12-2006, 10:26 PM
Joel5.0
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: IBA86Stang

So I haven't checked anything out yet, i;ve been way busy. But I'm also wondering if tuning the computer will show much difference??? The car runs quite nicely a few hiccups here and there, but will i notice much improvements? And thanks for the help so far. I had no clue where to look for things. So thanks for the help.
....let me answer with a question....is having control over timing and A/F, under all conditions (idle, part throttle, WOT, deceleration, cruising.......) a factor that will make an improvement?.......you will have to go through a learning curve though....
Old 07-12-2006, 11:40 PM
vristang
4th Gear Member

Another vote for the tweecer.

Go with the RT version, as it allows datalogging.
Pair that with a wideband O2 sensor and you will be able to tune your car any way you see fit.

You will see an improvement with a tune.

If you do go that route check out a program called EEC Analyzer.
For $50 it is well worth the money, as it will format your datalogs, and calculate new settings for you.

I have some info and links on my site if your interested.

jason
Old 07-16-2006, 01:17 PM
IBA86Stang

Hey jason i'd love to get some more info on that. And yes i figured having control of everything will add improvements. But i was just curious if it was worth the money to do it on these 5.0's. So cool thanks for the post guys. Cuz i'm totally lost when it comes to computers for cars.
Old 07-16-2006, 01:47 PM
IBA86Stang

Hey i just checked out the tweeker rt system. it looks like somethin i might wanna do. Anyone use this? And what do you guys think
Old 07-16-2006, 03:24 PM
vristang
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: IBA86Stang

Hey i just checked out the tweeker rt system. it looks like somethin i might wanna do. Anyone use this? And what do you guys think
A couple of things you will want to consider in the total cost of getting started with the tweecer.
1. a laptop will be needed. If you have one already this is not an extra cost. If you don't have one you can pick up on ebay for less than $350. Mine was $325 delivered. I have also been using this as my main home computer, and I sold my desktop. No need for 2 puters.

2. If you want to make any changes to the WOT settings you will need a wideband O2 sensor. Most kits seem to be $300 or more. I have yet to purchase a WB O2. You can make some very good progress in closed loop tuning before you get the WB O2.

3. When you are just getting started EA (I mentioned this program in the above post) is almost required.

Are you using an A9L computer? If not what puter are you using?

I have enjoyed the tweecer experience a great deal. There is a learning curve, as there will be with any system, but it is not as bad as other would make it seem.

jason

Quick Reply: Computer Upgrade or tuning