5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

Engine possiblities

Search this Thread

Old 07-04-2006, 07:56 AM
85bruiser
1st Gear Member

Default Engine possiblities

Hey all, first time mustang owner, looong time toyota owner/mechanic.
I've got at the moment $1500 spare to drop into my engine. Stock 85 302 with an edlebrock Performer Intake and a holly 650 carb. MSD blaster coil and wires. Hedman long pipes with cats and no crossover.
The exhaust I'll take care of when I get back to the states, right now i'm WAAAY overseas, and the car is sitting at a friend's shop, the engine out of it.
I know i've got the crappiest heads, but I was wandering what would be the best parts to drop in it. The car is mainly going to be a show car, the paint is flawless and the body is perfect, just want to keep it clean and stock-looking. I'd like her to have a NASTY idle, so i'm thinking a high duration cam. What would be the best to go for without losing any power? I've already got a Smog pump and AC delete bracket and pulley kit on it. Can anyone recommend a good combination for the cam and what type of lifters and rockers to use? Also should I upgrade the fuel pump from the old stocker just to keep it reliable?
Any suggestions and tips would be greatly appreciated, thanks!
Old 07-04-2006, 10:29 AM
tinman
5th Gear Member

Default RE: Engine possiblities

I think that the GT-40 heads would be an easy up-grade, cheap too..
Old 07-04-2006, 01:50 PM
aode08
5th Gear Member

what! you got 1500 to spare? YOU DOING THE WORK YOURSELF?

JUMP ON A SUPERCHARGER KIT AND INSTAL IT YOURSELF , NEVER NEED TO WORRY BOUT POWER AGAIN ! get 320 hp.

I spent somewhat more on my setup, and was dissapointed with only 280 hp and 360 lbs of torque(but im power hungry), i should of just put on a blower.

but if i do put on a blower, i ll be at 370 hp min 430 lbs torque

Old 07-05-2006, 05:00 AM
85bruiser
1st Gear Member

I saw an article on a blower kit for the carbed engine, but i'm not really all for that. As far as the GT40 heads is there any site that sells an engine kit with the heads and cam? Or can anyone just recommend a good site to buy the heads from? I've been looking around, and i was thinking this. Go ARP all around the engine, MHG, and upgraded fuel pump, and a 75 shot nitrous plate. Could it be done or would it be a bad idea on the stock heads? I was also looking at a voodoo cam with 282 duration and a mild lift. Couple that with some 1.7 ratio rockers (also need to know which size to use) and would it be good to go?
Yeah i'm doing all the work by myself, i've been rebuilding toyota 2jzs and 7Ms for 5 years now, i've got a 95 Mr2 that puts down 348 hp with no nitrous on pump gas. I know my imports, but this whole domestic thing is new to me. If I had more time i'd be searching through the forums, but i'm limited to about 30 minutes on the computer because i work 14 hours a day. Thanks guys
Old 07-05-2006, 07:12 AM
joshafmil
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: 85bruiser

I saw an article on a blower kit for the carbed engine, but i'm not really all for that. As far as the GT40 heads is there any site that sells an engine kit with the heads and cam? Or can anyone just recommend a good site to buy the heads from? I've been looking around, and i was thinking this. Go ARP all around the engine, MHG, and upgraded fuel pump, and a 75 shot nitrous plate. Could it be done or would it be a bad idea on the stock heads? I was also looking at a voodoo cam with 282 duration and a mild lift. Couple that with some 1.7 ratio rockers (also need to know which size to use) and would it be good to go?
Yeah i'm doing all the work by myself, i've been rebuilding toyota 2jzs and 7Ms for 5 years now, i've got a 95 Mr2 that puts down 348 hp with no nitrous on pump gas. I know my imports, but this whole domestic thing is new to me. If I had more time i'd be searching through the forums, but i'm limited to about 30 minutes on the computer because i work 14 hours a day. Thanks guys
http://www.fordracingparts.com/home/home.asp

take a look around that site, you may find some interesting stuff =)
Old 07-05-2006, 01:57 PM
r.barn
6th Gear Member

B303 cam has mild lift and agressive lobe for lumpy idle.

Thumper ported stock heads will maintain "stock look" but flow with GT-40X heads.

some 1.7 rocker arms wouldnt hurt either.

www.50resto.com
www.thumperoforangepark.com
www.blueovalindustries.com

Old 07-05-2006, 02:17 PM
tuff5liter
2nd Gear Member

i believe blue oval industries sells one
ORIGINAL: 85bruiser

Old 07-05-2006, 02:23 PM
hellas85stang
4th Gear Member

cheapest is mayb gt40 heads and a ede rpm roller cam and xpipe would make ir rumble and make great power...
Old 07-06-2006, 10:24 AM
85bruiser
1st Gear Member

okay this is what i'm looking at
AFR 60cc street/strip heads
a 272 duration cam with 108 lobe separation
i'm not sure what type of h pipe to go with, i've got a BUILT C4 swapped in with a B&M hammer shifter (bought it that way)
a new edelbrock mechanical fuel pump (no FPR needed)
i've got an 1800 rpm stall converter in it (for the street i guess...i didn't choose it), should i go higher?
As for the supercharger, Paxton makes a blow-through bolt on supercharger for a STOCK 5.0 that supposedly puts out 90 hp more with a timing retarder on pump gas. TOO expensive though for the power gains.
Oh yeah and 1.7 roller rockers.
Any other ideas on parts or conflicting stuff i might be looking at??
as for nitrous i'll stay away from it for now, don't feel like having a chance of my piston rings locking up from the shock of the funny gas.
Old 07-08-2006, 05:27 PM
85bruiser
1st Gear Member

allright i've got the heads figured out, and mostly everything else.
Can anyone recommend a cam and lifter combo that'll give me a nasty idle though?
Also (I know it sounds redneck)
I'm looking at the butterfly intake scoop from JCwhitney, and am thinking about putting one on. I'm probably going to need to put on a taller intake, and a carb spacer. What kind of intake can I install?