5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

kandy paint

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-2006, 07:53 PM
jonnyslick
2nd Gear Member

Default RE: kandy paint

problem with kandy's is that they're very hard to color match and you can't respray an area. once you lay down the kandy you can't go back over top of if or it will be a shade darker than the rest. kandy's are also very hard to keep the quality of the paint "clean" ... a lot of kandy's i see (that are done by people who have no F clue what they're doing) look murkey and hazy. but if you can do a kandy right it is the best paint on the market.
Old 07-06-2006, 07:56 PM
Bad Karma
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: jonnyslick

problem with kandy's is that they're very hard to color match and you can't respray an area. once you lay down the kandy you can't go back over top of if or it will be a shade darker than the rest. kandy's are also very hard to keep the quality of the paint "clean" ... a lot of kandy's i see (that are done by people who have no F clue what they're doing) look murkey and hazy. but if you can do a kandy right it is the best paint on the market.
+1

That's why you clear the schitt out of it when you are happy with the way it looks...then you pray the heck that you don't wreck or chip it ..

That's why you charge alot more for those types of jobs.

-Ivan
Old 07-06-2006, 08:00 PM
jonnyslick
2nd Gear Member

no kidding ... i worked at a body shop so i had my kandy red done on my coupe for the cost of the paint ... but 3 months later i wrecked it ... i was gonna' have to replace the right rear 1/4 panel, rear bumper, right taillight, molding, and right door ... then strip the whole car down and repaint it ... so ... i just sold it ... LOL
Old 07-06-2006, 09:47 PM
rmodel65
Yukon Cornelius

ORIGINAL: Bad Karma

ORIGINAL: rmodel65

mine is going to be at the 200dollar range since i got th ehok stuff for free. as for painting the jambs its really choice but most people do them first. my boss always does the door jambs last on his kandy jobs. it will take a 2-3 day normally to prep a car depending on the body work needed. its not that hard of a project it just takes alot of patience and practice . what kinda of gun do u have? and air compressor and filter for the compressor so it doesnt get contaminents through the air supply
I got some old skool Sharp gun that my Pops gave to me...I would really like to get something more updated but this one shoots great and I don't ever have any problems using it. It's running off of a Craftsman 2 stage Vertical 60Gal with a DeVillBiss Air/H2O Separator and dryer setup that came off my Pops' booth setup. Again, it's old as crap but it works good so...?..

I would really like to get a new HVLP gun but haven't really been in the "loop" when it comes to new ways of doing things.

That's my story. Any advice on a new gun? Also, you shooting around 40psi or no?? I know alot of guys are shooting lower...

-Ivan
get a sata jet 90rp(reduced pressure)about 350$ or a new 3000 sata(500$) the hlvp guns save alot of materials but the rp's cover the surface alot quicker. if u want a decent gun with a bunch of tips( that way u dont have to buy more than one gun get a GTI i believe it is sorry cant remeber the manufacturer?) theres nothing wrong with a sharpe my boss uses his when he lays down kandys because of the wide spray pattern. u got overlap a kandy 75% each pass. as for pressure i just do it by ear more or less and the pattern that the gun sprays out but its some where around in the 30-40 psi range depending on what im going for a clear coat single its good to have a 1.3 fluid tip, primers around a 1.7-2.0 and base about a 1.4 the gti has all of theres plus some
Old 07-06-2006, 10:16 PM
jonnyslick
2nd Gear Member

man i can't wait to see this entire car completed! it's gonna' rock! [8D]
Old 07-08-2006, 08:05 PM
rmodel65
Yukon Cornelius

painting this afternoon will hopefully have some pics!
Old 07-11-2006, 04:56 AM
aode08
5th Gear Member

enlighten me, after your paint job what polish and sandpaper grade do you use for the ultimate showcar look?

I see it on tv where, after they paint, they use some kind of polish and sandpaper and wow!! what a permanent showcar shine.
Old 07-12-2006, 09:39 PM
rmodel65
Yukon Cornelius

for the slickest rub out use some 3000 grit paper on a da sander with the hook it 2 sanding system u can go straight to a foam polishing pad with 3m swirl mark remover
Old 07-12-2006, 09:55 PM
jonnyslick
2nd Gear Member

any updates of it with outdoor pics in the sun?
Old 07-18-2006, 09:45 PM
rmodel65
Yukon Cornelius

got some more pics got my cobra r from jhutch here on the forums mounted the back tires are extremely stick they pick up ever piece of dirt in the road they are dot drag radials and the fronts are pretty much brand spankin new kuhmos definitely changed the whole attitude of the car! esp since i had two different sets of wheels on there!

Quick Reply: kandy paint