5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

My car's gonna shake itself to pieces!

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-2006, 04:39 PM
7upedition
5th Gear Member

Default RE: My car's gonna shake itself to pieces!

lookinforastang :those are rigid chasis bikes ... softtails are comfortable... ur car needs foose and overhaulin by the sounds of it...j/k anyhow rixter check all your plugs & wires, distributer cap/rotor, check timing, harmonic balancer, maf wires, base idle, IAC, TB, fluids, check headers for a leak... good luck.
Old 07-06-2006, 04:50 PM
TENGRAM
2nd Gear Member

if you're gonna replace the clutch then yes, replace (or resurface) the flywheel. check the harmonic balancer for wobbling with the car running. also, with engine off of course, inspect the thin ring of rubber that holds the inner and outer hub of the balancer together.
if you see that it is dry and cracked you should replace it. if it is very old, replace it. $67 from Dallas Mustang.
Old 07-06-2006, 05:25 PM
JenniferJ

Ok... I really don't know what I'm talking about here and I'm sure you guys will laugh at this...

But my car did the same basic thing. I have 01 GT and at first I thought it was related to a particular RPM. I have an automatic so it was hard to pin it down but later I found it was due to being above a certain speed.

Anytime I went above about 40 my car would shake like mad. It was so bad I had to get off the expressway.

I took it into a shop that I use and I know the mechanics really well and what he found after just about 15 minutes of looking was a huge clump of dried mud had settled in my right rear wheel on the inner side and was putting it horribly out of balance.

He asked how I got mud in there but thats another story. Let's just say that a heavy rain during a soccer game and you'll find out how your stang handles in the mud. Mine didn't do so well.

I thought I had hosed off all the mud at the car wash but I guess I missed some. I drove the next 3 or 4 days never reaching that speed as I had short little in town errands. But when I finally did reach it wow what a shake!

Jen
Old 07-06-2006, 05:32 PM
Rixter
1st Gear Member

Cool, thanks guys, I'll be sure and check all this stuff out before I go ordering replacement parts.
Old 07-06-2006, 05:42 PM
HACKGT350
6th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: lookinforastang

could be the tires, driveshaft, number of other things

my car shakes but its from a combination of things.. the driveshaft looks older than me, the brakes are worn to bare metal, and the tires are heavily worn.

u would think my car would be like riding a soft tail bike or whatever those bikes are called with no suspensions.

oh yah not to mention my shocks and struts are shot and the tie rods are wearing!
wow its time you started putting some work into your car. i thought mine was bad i guess not as soon as my tires got low they were smoked off for new ones brakes started to squeek i put new ones on exhaust rotted off new one went on in less than a week shocks struts and springs are getting done in another week. its about time you started taking care of your care and it will take care of you