5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

My car's gonna shake itself to pieces!

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-2006, 03:54 AM
Rixter
1st Gear Member

Default My car's gonna shake itself to pieces!

Ok, so a strange new problem surfaced just yesterday, and it doesn't seem like one I can just ignore (like the fact that my exhaust has rusted through). I noticed from driving on the interstate that when I get the revs around 2500-3000 everything starts shaking pretty bad. At first I thought maybe the clutch was starting to slip really bad (I seriously need a new clutch), but then I noticed that it will shake just from revving it, even when the clutch is disengaged.

I showed my brother and he said it kinda seemed like it was the flywheel, but wasn't sure how it could have become unbalanced so suddenly (it's not like I never take it to 3000 rpm), and also suggested that POSSIBLY my timing is off somehow, and it's the engine that's vibrating so bad.

So, do any of you guys have any ideas? Sometime we're going to drop the tranny and take a look, but I'm thinking I'll go ahead and order a clutch, and I'm wondering if I should order a flywheel while I'm at it. I'd rather not spend the money right now, but I don't need my car just falling apart like a lego sculpture crashing to the kitchen floor either.

If it is the flywheel, any recommendations? Brands I should stay away from? While I'm at it I'd like to go ahead and get a lighter one, even though they cost a bit more.

Thanks
Old 07-06-2006, 03:58 AM
brutal_gt
3rd Gear Member

Default RE: My car's gonna shake itself to pieces!

harmonic damper...
Old 07-06-2006, 03:58 AM
sdmaker
3rd Gear Member

harmonic balancer could be to blame
Old 07-06-2006, 04:15 AM
Rixter
1st Gear Member

Ah that makes sense (had to read about it), thanks guys. What could make it suddenly stop working, I mean when they go is it usually sudden? Is it an easy fix?

Thanks
Old 07-06-2006, 04:20 AM
schwindty
4th Gear Member

They just go over time, just like a starter
Old 07-06-2006, 04:34 AM
302RideOrDie
2nd Gear Member

that my friend is a harmonic balancer, just replaced mine about a month ago
Old 07-06-2006, 04:56 AM
lookinforastang
I ♥ Acer

could be the tires, driveshaft, number of other things

my car shakes but its from a combination of things.. the driveshaft looks older than me, the brakes are worn to bare metal, and the tires are heavily worn.

u would think my car would be like riding a soft tail bike or whatever those bikes are called with no suspensions.

oh yah not to mention my shocks and struts are shot and the tie rods are wearing!
Old 07-06-2006, 05:08 AM
Rixter
1st Gear Member

Heh, mine shakes for other reasons as well, but this happens just as much when I'm not even moving, just revving it up out of gear.
Old 07-06-2006, 05:37 AM
lookinforastang
I ♥ Acer

ok well u say its gunna shake itself to pieces

..are the lugnuts tight?
Old 07-06-2006, 04:23 PM
lx5oh

I was always taught to look at the simplest, cheapest possible thing first. I had a similar problem once and it turned out that it was a plug wire loose because my idiot self forgot to plug it back in when i messed with it. A cylinder not firing will make the whole car shake like that, especially once you're cruising on the highway. Once I remembered what I did and plugged it back in, it ran smooth again. Check all your plug wires just to make sure, maybe see if they're damaged. Then start looking around at the expensive stuff.

Quick Reply: My car's gonna shake itself to pieces!