5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

Clutch/tranny rebuild problems

Old 07-06-2006, 07:26 PM
ClemsonStang

Default Clutch/tranny rebuild problems

so i just rebuilt my own T-5 in my 86 convertable. got it all back together and the tranny back in with a king cobra clutch kit. put it up on jack stands. the clutch pedal didnt feel right, i didnt see an easy adjustment, so it was on jack stands. fired it up in neutral. basically i have no clutch. i can pull it into 1st through 3rd and reverse, cant get 4th so i didnt try fifth. i dont have any clutch. and im still not sure if the tranny is even put back together right! i moved from a stock clutch to a king cobra clutch kit, does this require an aftermarket adjuster? no one said anything about needing anything for this clutch kit. Any help would be great, because i was hoping to drive the car from ohio to south carolina this weekend, and ide rle rather not have to have it towed to the tranny shop...

Thanks!
Andy
Old 07-06-2006, 08:15 PM
jzgt
2nd Gear Member

Default RE: Clutch/tranny rebuild problems

When the car was on jack stands, did you start it with the trans in 1st and did the rear tires move?

It's probably a clutch/cable issue. Did you make sure you put the clutch fork on the ball stud? Was it a new TOB you used?

What about the quadrant? With aftermarket clutches, they're generally higher pedal pressure and sometimes that won't work with the OEM plastic quadrant. Recheck your clutch install before you call the trans shop.

- Jeff
Old 07-06-2006, 08:29 PM
86HOGT
5th Gear Member

My King Cobra has a lighter pedel than the OEM one. I already had an adjustable firewall quadrant but it needed a lot of adjusting to get the disengagement right. It may even need a new cable but it feel ok. It sounds like that's what You need.

But before I go internet diagnosing, do the wheels spin at all? Do the gears go into engagement? And when you say you have no clutch does that mean you have like zero pedal pressure? I know at first my KB felt like it had no resistance.
Old 07-06-2006, 09:30 PM
ClemsonStang

used a new TOB. started it with the trans in neutral, then can go into first, and then second, and into third. but the clutch pedal is useless. ill check the ball stud. we will see, the tranny guy is a friend, so i dont really know at the moment, the shifter doesnt feel right at all, im sure part of it is the lack of clutch, but it still just feels bad. i dont want to hurt all the brand new hardware either...