5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

fuel pump replacement in progress....

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-2006, 12:03 AM
tcwc
2nd Gear Member

Default fuel pump replacement in progress....

Fuel pump died, (at least I'm hopeing that was the problem). I ordered a Walbro 255. $99.00 to my door (ebay). Anyhow, I got the tank out...and got the new pump in. I stopped for the night because I found a rust hole!!!! In th bottom of the spare tire well, about the size of a half dollar. I could have had the tank back up and it running, but I want to pay some attention to the 'hole'.

Anyhow, it wasn't as bad as I thought. I was sure I'd blow myself to sh*t. Had about 1/2 tank of gas in it. I 'tried' to syphon it out before I started but the hose wouldn't go down into the tank (from the filler door). It got fairly far in, but something kept blocking it.

The REAL bitch was cleaning off the pump housing locking collar and breaking it loose. Was rusted all to hell. I soaked in WD40 and POUNDED for awhile. Finally started to move and eventually unlocked. Instructions with the pump were pretty good and it seems like a full kit (I got the replacement o-ring for the tank to mount, the clips to lock in the fuel lines, the filter, etc).

Tomorrow or Sunday I plan to finish the job and take some pictures (while the tank is out). I hope it will help someone else who's never done it (like me) out!!!!!

I'm hopeing that 'maybe' the old pump was at 1/2 life for awhile, and I might notice a big throttle response with the new 255 lph pump! ;-)

...............more to come

tcwc
Old 07-08-2006, 12:05 AM
PRO50SC
The Rogue Mod

Default RE: fuel pump replacement in progress....

Awesome man, good for you. I hope the rest of the job works out for ya!!
Old 07-08-2006, 12:09 AM
titanium92
2nd Gear Member

Just to let you know....it's better to have a half tank of gas rather than none. It's the fumes that will cause the explosion in an empty tank. It's harder to light a tank full of gas than it is to with just a few drops in it.

Anyways may be useless to you but just thought I throw it out there.
Old 07-08-2006, 12:09 AM
sdmaker
3rd Gear Member

you should do your self a favor and replace the rubber gasket on the tank where the filler neck goes in while the tank is out.
Old 07-08-2006, 12:28 AM
tcwc
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: titanium92

Just to let you know....it's better to have a half tank of gas rather than none. It's the fumes that will cause the explosion in an empty tank. It's harder to light a tank full of gas than it is to with just a few drops in it.

Anyways may be useless to you but just thought I throw it out there.

I knew about this part. I've heard of people 'filling' up thier tanks before doing any work. I was just concerned about the weight so I took it down with what was in it (about 6-7 gallons) then syphoned it after it was out.

'SDMAKER' I appreciate the advice. However, this was another 'bugger' to get out. The lower filler neck was very tight and didn't want to come out of the tank. Once the tank was out, I looked it over. I saw no cracks or anything. Since it was so tight and with no cracks, do you still think it should be replaced?

Thanks for the help guys, and like I said.....I will be posting pic's of the procedure.
Old 07-08-2006, 12:32 AM
sdmaker
3rd Gear Member

It may very well be ok, but do you want to risk having to pull the tank again if its not for a few dollar part, lol. I learned the hard way myself. but if the rubber is still nice and soft, and not distorted you may be alright. But I will tell you this much, I will never drop another mustang tank without replacing the gasket.
Old 07-08-2006, 12:46 AM
tcwc
2nd Gear Member

good point, I'll grab one tomorrow before it goes back in!

Thanks man....
Old 07-08-2006, 12:50 AM
HACKGT350
6th Gear Member

awesome hope everything works out...did you say you were going to be at cj pont parts tomorrow or no?
Old 07-08-2006, 12:59 AM
tcwc
2nd Gear Member

I had planned on it, but since this fuel pump project ........ I don't think so. I really wanted to and meet some of the MF'er's.

You'll have to plan a MF'er's only weekend! Pick a central location, have everyone bring some food, and make a 'weekend out of it.'
Old 07-08-2006, 01:01 AM
HACKGT350
6th Gear Member

you can still go just bring a different car and park down the road so no one sees hahaha but thats a good idea make a mustang weekend for us on here